water temp at the bottom?

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by Flatheadhunter33, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    My buddy and I always sit around talking catfish tactics. We talk about it so much that my wife says we sound like a bunch of fishing geeks:roll_eyes:...I guess that would be a good thing:smile2:...anyways, here's something that came up in a conversation with my son (Donte) and my fishing buddy (Chris) that I never really gave though to...my finder's transducer gives water temp...but I never questioned wether that temp is water surface or the entire depth being read? I have a humminbird pirahna...nothing fancy...can anyone shed some light on this subject for me? If it only reads water surface, do you have rule of thumb that you go by to guesstimate bottom temps? thanks.

2. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Hmmm, after reading your post it got me to thinking...

I was always told when younger that while swimming if you got cold you could move to the deeper end and the water would be warmer... And that when you went deeper into the water diving to the bottom that the water got warmer as well...

Now that I think back, it "seemed" warmer to me as a kid but I am not sure about that being an adult knowing the difference. I am wondering if it is true, but then again, you think about outside surface temperature affecting the "overall" water temperature?

Is this part of the reason the Flatties go to the bottom, and pile up?, why they burrow in the dirt/mud? or find a spot in a log or hole, or something else that is on the bottom?

Things that make you go Hmmm......

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I was kind of thinking the same thing. I put that theory to the test in my pool last summer and found that the water temps in the shallow end tended to be a little warmer due to the sun heating it up easier all the way to the bottom. I think that fish go deeper in the colder times because the water temp there is more stable?

4. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    What I've done is bought one of those temperature guages for a car that measures inside AND outside air, I don't remember exactly what it cost but it was less than 10 bucks

I lengthened the outside temp probe's wire to 30 ft, backed it with some 20lb test monofiliment line and attached a 1 oz weight on the end .... I sealled the splices and the probe iteself with silicone to seal it and I just drop it in the water and take a bottom reading .... I keep the unit stored on an old spool for fishing line

One thing I've done with it was measure the outputs of creeks going into the big river (Mississippi River between Iowa/Illinois) in the summer after a good rain, the temps at the outlet 'groove' of the creeks will often be 10 degrees cooler or more .... cooler water = more oxygen More oxygen = more bait fish and sport fish including and especially our beloved catfish

I've also had some luck probing holes and then fishing the ones where I found a fairly lower temperature reading

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    You can buy a Color Selector used by bass fisherman, that has a built in temp gauge. I think it measures temps down to 50'. Also shows PH and what colors best seen at different depths. I know Bass Pro handles them.

6. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I believe the temp shown on your sonar is surface temp and it indicates the warmer water on top. During the dog days of summer most fish will go deep to get cooler unless they are feeding/hunting for food at which time they will go to more shallow water to look for prey. Bass and other species spawn in shallow water because it's warmer and speeds up matabolism. The difference in temperature between top water and lower levels are not that great but are relatively cooler. I would think your temp gauge should should only be used as a general reference. Tight lines.

:cool2: