Water stream 1970 Johnson 6HP

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Trapper-steve, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve Well-Known Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    Hi, guys I have a question, does a 1970 6 HP Johnson
    Mod 6R-70B have a pee hole?
    I put a new impeller and thermostat in puts water out exhaust but not any where else I looked but don't see any place else for it to come out.
    The repair book I have doesn't show one(pee Hole).
    THANKS.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    It doesn't have a tattle tale line on it.

3. Trapper-steve

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    Thanks Bubbakat I didn't think it did but better to ask and be sure than not ask and be sorry down the river.

4. Trapper-steve

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    Hi all, I have another question I put in new impeller and thermostat pumps water good above idle but when at idle no water and see bubbles around foot give a little gas no bubbles and lots of water any ideas.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Lots of water where?

Try some puntuation in your posts. it sure would make it easier to read. We need all the help we can get.:lol:

6. Trapper-steve

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    This is still the 1970 6 HP Johnson Mod 6R-70B

The water comes out of back where it's suppose to when it comes out.
    At idle I don't see any water coming out any where.
    At idle I do see air bubbles coming up around where the lower unit goes together.
    Do you think this could be caused by the grommets on water tube maybe need replaced?
    I put a new thermostat, impeller and wear plate but didn't replace the grommets on water tube.
    The parts store didn't have the grommets the day I bought the rest of the parts or I would have bought those too.
    I didn't think the old grommets looked bad at that time but maybe I didn't look close enough.
    THANKS

7. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    sounds like your water tube didn't seat right when you put the lower unit back on, and it sounds like the lower unit didn't seat right, if there are bubbles coming out I would recommend pulling the lower unit back off and make sure the water tube seats and to torque the lower unit bolts evenly and a little at a time so it seals. Also make sure there is nothing on the lower unit or the case that would prevent a good seal.

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    If the seal between the lower unit and mid section mattered very much, there'd be a gasket there.

How long do you let it idle? Is the head getting hot at idle?

Your apearently getting water to the head or you wouldn't be getting water out at higher rpms, although you might not be getting enough.

You think it might be because your thermostat isn't opened fully at idle. Are you even getting a few drops coming out, or not, at idle?

9. Trapper-steve

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    Thank you to all who responded.
    Looks like it was the water tube grommets.:smile2: