Water softner bait tank ideas?

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by Shad Man, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I seen this water softner tank that someone tossed and immediately though "bait tank". I was thinking of turning it into a shad tank. Its about 3 foot high and 2 foot wide. I think its around 35 gallons. Has anyone ever made a tank out of one. I though I could use most of the old parts and place a bilge pump in the bottom since it has a false bottom with holes in it. I also figured I could use the stand pipe to pump water out of if I rig up a sprayer. What do you guys think? I was wonder if shad would get stuck behind it and beat themseleves up. I may be better off just gutting the tank and using the shell and keeping it simple. Any suggestions would be great.

Attached Files:

2. striper steve

striper steve New Member

State:
    south carolina
    yes the shad will probably run into the crack, they wil swim around the ouside(especially when dipping one out). if you could find a way to put a sheet of something to make it smooth it would work good, maybe duck tape if nothing else, ive used it in my tank to see the bottom(black tank) and its been there over a year and is still good, and it wont hurt the shad. the false bottom would work great for filtring it. which you want to do if you plan on keeping alot of bait and/or for a long time. personnaly i use a bubbler instead of a spray bar, its much gentler on the fish and more effective. add some insulation and youll have a good homemade tank. ive got one i made out of a 55gl drum cut down to 35 gl, i run a 12v bubbler use a bilge pump to filter it, and have it insulated. its not pretty but it works good especially considering ive got about 75$ invested. i mostly striper fish so healthy bait is a must. good luck and let us know how it goes.

3. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Thanks for the advice.