water scamp repair

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by schuetz, Dec 19, 2007.

1. schuetz

schuetz New Member

State:
    kansas
    has anyone here tried to take apart a water scamp with any success? i was given one today, and the transom is in pretty bad shape. it has cracked down one of the corners and on some of the top. i am fairly decent at fiberglassing, but i would like to separate the top and bottom and replace the wood in the transom. any thoughts????

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Are you sure it's fiberglass, and not plastic?

If it's plastic, it's probably high density poly-ethylene (HDPE), which is, for all intents and purposes, unrepairable.

3. schuetz

schuetz New Member

State:
    kansas
    its definitely plastic.

4. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Matt, the most expensive boat is often a free boat!:big_smile:

I have repaired (if you can call what I did a repair!) two plastic sailboats. I don't recommend spending much time or money doing this.

On one foam covered plastic boat, in which the plastic shell was cracked in many places, I used a two part epoxy glue in a attempt to "weld" the parts back together. It looked terrible and I soon traided it for a three wheeled bike!

The second plastic boat wasn't in quite a bad of a condition and I patched it with two part auto repair Bondo. The patch was still holding when I got rid of the boat. But, man was that an ugly patch!:crazy:

If you just wish to fill in the cracks and use the boat, smearing some Bondo into the cracks in the plastic might do the job. Unless the transom is complete rotted out the plastic shell should be OK for a trolling motor.

Just my 2 cents.....

Bill