Water release and river current

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by Nobody Special, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I've been trying to figure out when the best current on the Cumberland River (Clarksville/Dover area) would be according to the water releases at Barkley and Cheatham.

Would there be more current if they were generating at Barkley and not at Cheatham, Cheatham and not Barkley, or more if they were generating at both dams?

Here's a link to the water release schedules:http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/index.htm

2. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I guess it all depends where in the impoundment you are.

For the lake:

The most current would be when the dam below you is releasing water.

If the dam above you is releasing water and the dam below you is not, then that means the water will back up.

If the dam below you is releasing water and the dam above you is not, you'll have current.

If BOTH dams are releasing water, you won't notice much current at all unless the one below is releasing significantly more water than the above dam.

If neither dam is releasing water, there will be no current.

When fishing the river, if the dam above you is releasing water, you'll have current.

This is the best way I can explain it without going into a boring dissertation.

3. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    My kid went today and said there was no current at all. I checked and they were releasing 31,800 cfs at Barkley (downstream) and 6,400 cfs at Cheatham (upstream) and had been releasing that amount for several hours. The water level was falling. Looks to me like there should have been some current under those conditions.

4. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    mark i will let you know how it goes tomorrow i am going out on the rver with stephens for a couple of hrs bye the way the skipjack r still running good

5. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Hey Dusty how was your fishing trip with Stephens? Hope you had fun. :D

6. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    the skip jack were running very well i caufgt about 100 more in about a 2 hr period. then i met up with stephens and his friend we caught a total of 3 fish today mine was the smallest 1 1/2 lb blue stephens caught a 20lber and his friend caught a 10-15 lber