water pumps

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by wayne1967, Mar 18, 2008.

1. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    How often do you guys have to replace your water pumps. I've got a 60 merc. and have to replace mine about every two years. The paddles on it always end up breaking/wearing off.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you run a motor in the river with a lot of silt and sand floating in the river then change that impeller every fall of the year. Change the whole water pump every 3 years. If you run in clean lake water every 2 years on impeller and every 3 on the whole water pump.

How often do you guys have to replace your water pumps. I've got a 60 merc. and have to replace mine about every two years. The paddles on it always end up breaking/wearing off.

Now with a situation like yours you are going to get a piece of that impeller fin up inside the block one of these times and will have to remove the head to get to it if it doesn't overheat it and scorch the engine first.

3. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Never heard of changing anything other than the impeller.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Well you have now and as many as I have seen burned up from no water because the impeller couldn't get enough water past the wear plate because of the big grooves that are worn into it I would highly recommend you changing yours. That is if you want to. If you don't then its still yours.

5. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks. Found an online shop for them. Funny, the shop were I buy my outboard motor stuff from never mentioned you can get the whole thing. I say water pump and they always just hand me the impeller.

6. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Before putting in this pump can you just hook up a water hose to the water outlet line and "backflush" it to make sure there are no rubber pieces in it.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Now you are thinking wayne. You sure can

8. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Finally got it in. Pees like a clydesdale now.:big_smile:

9. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The shop you get parts from probably sells new motors too! Listen to Bubbacat.

10. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i learned that the hard way. the silty, sandy water. always boated reservors in southern ca. moved to yuma , az and started fishing colorado river. in ca, impeller would last at least 3 years. whole assy, 4-5. good water there. here in yuma, second yr i got stranded on river with a couple fishing fishing me at night. pulled lower unit off to look and had one blade left on impeller and it was ready to go. change that often!!!! cheaper than the tow, or worse, the embarrasment of being towed in for being cheap.
    gary