Water Pump

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by bronco67, May 11, 2006.

1. bronco67

bronco67 New Member

State:
    nc
    I have a question about outboard water pumps ? I have a 1973 9.5 johnson sea horse I just aquired,:embarassed: it needs another prop and pin but it runs great .only ran it in bucket though .the only thing is there is not a steady stream of water , it spits it out with the exaust . I cant realy tell wether its a good flow or a bad flow because of the spitting .so how can i tell if its bad dont guess just replace and if so is that a hard job. look forward to yalls responce. thanks .
    [/LIST]​

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I've run some small engines in buckets before. Support the bucket or make sure the engine is to the bottom of the bucket. Fill it completely and keep the hose running in the bucket. Don't put it in gear or rev the engine. This will keep air from getting into the water pick up and giving the spurting action.

This was strictly for salt water wash down after use on my part.

Water pump replacement is one of the cheapest and easiest of the preventive maintenance proceedures. If your not sure of it, replace it.

3. bronco67

bronco67 New Member

State:
    nc
    thanks bobpaul think I will just replace it and not be concerned with the darn thing working.