water pump

Discussion in 'Catawba Catfish Club' started by gotta go, Jul 5, 2009.

1. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Bump! water pump went out on my engine, figures, i was on a big fish roll (finally) and now my boat will be out for a few wks. Going try to put it on myself:eek:oooh: Any mechanics on here with some advice. I took all the bolts out of the lower unit and it dropped about an inch but i cant seem to get it to come off, am i missing something, or, they just a devil to get off??:smile2: I have ordered a book on this engine (i use to build my son's race engines for his dirtbikes) so i kind of figured an engine is an engine. If you don't have any advice, pray for me. I will need it

2. richard84

richard84 New Member

State:
    ky
    good luck bud:big_smile:

3. JUMPER

JUMPER New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    Pretty easy fix, take your covers off side there is probably shift link you need to take apart to get lower unit rest of way down. When you pick up the water pump have them print out instructions from dealer and it will give you step by step putting it back together.

Note :get whole water pump not just impeller

4. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Dean, give me a call and we'll see if we can set something up for Monday, Monday evening. We'll see if we can't get your water pump straightened out. Your shifter linkage is your problem, why it won't come off. I can try and talk you through it, or either I'll come over and we'll do it together.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yep, your missing one important step. Bolt the lower unit back onto the motor using just one bolt. If your motor is a manual shift, you need to disconnect shift rod from its upper end. If your motor is an electric shift, you will find two wires running into the lower unit. The should be spliced together with bayonet clips (at least thats what I think they are called). Carefully disconnect both wires and before you let go of them, tape or fasten another wire or cord to those wires. Remove the bolt you put back in and the lower unit should separate from the motor.

Far as the water pump, you will probably find the impeller has disintegrated or got tore up. At any rate, you will need to get a new impeller. Look at the water pump housing... it should be fairly smooth with no deep groves in the area where the impeller revolves. If it is grooved or a bluish color (indicating it has been very, very hot) replace the water pump housing, otherwise just the impeller. Parts can be obtained at your local auto parts store as they all have marine catalogs. You do not need a stainless steel housing unless you operate in an area where sand can or will be sucked into the water pump.

You may go to your public library and check out a manual for your particular motor. Make sure you record the model and serial number to check the manual or to order pars.

Just noticed this was my 4,300th post. I'm happy it was made trying to help a brother instead of just saying hello. LOL

6. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Happy 4th Lawrence... What you have posted is the way to do it... plain and simple....:wink:

7. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for the offer Ronnie and i may even take you up on it.:smile2: Thanks Mr Wise, you sound like somebody that has done it before. My motor is a 1989 Johnson 120 and i would guess its Manual by the year, so i'll look at the shift lever. (you can tell i haven't done any work on boat engines) I didn't know that auto parts place would carry boat parts, so thats a plus. I was pretty sure it was the linkage holding it from comming out, just wasn't sure on how to unhook it and even worse, on how to get it hooked back up:smile2: with what you have told me i will give it a try. Thanks guys, but to be on the safe side, don't forget the prayers. :wink:

8. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks Ronnie for driving the 80 plus miles to help a friend. man i had no clue you lived that far. Thanks for the help it saved me a lot of $$$$ and also showed me what to do next time round. I owe you "Big Time"

9. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Dean -

We're not even close to even yet. You put that boat in during a bad rain and lighting storm and took me to look for Ricky, when all you showed up for was a fishing trip. I don't know if you've thought about this yet or not, but not many people would have gone out on that water like it was, with lighting popping all around us. But you not only stayed, you launched your boat and helped me. 80 miles ain't nothing.

You need me, call me back. And I still owe you a fishing trip.

10. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks again buddy. We went to Wateree marina and they didn't have the items i needed so went to Dolittles :smile2: down next to June Creek and got part of it anyway. The impeller. Got it on, now the wife and i r going out there to slide that bad boy on and c if it works:smile2: That guy charged me $40 for that dang thang, i can get the whole kit for $56. Thats how it is when you want it now:angry::smile2: Online you can get the impeller for $15. Oh well, i probably saved $200 doing the work myself, plus the wife seen a pontoon she wants and been calling making them offers. Looks like a mini house boat with a 115 4 stroke johnson. Women, this water pump may cost me out the ying yang :smile2::smile2::smile2:

11. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Let me know how it works!!!!:cool2:

12. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    It works! New boat mechanic in town:smile2: will replace your pump for $10,000:tounge_out:

13. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Dean, for ten thousand dollars you have to call your self a "technician," not a mechanic. A mechanic would make a couple hundred dollars. :smile2:

Glad you got it working. I had confidence in you all along.:wink:

Now, when is our fishing trip? We have to go try that bad boy out. Or should I be asking Seth about putting me on some fish?:wink::wink:

14. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    well, Seth is in the mountains for a wk or so, tonight is church night, but nothing is holding me back for thursday night. I may take it down to try it out first. hate to get down there and all my work stop working:crazy::smile2:
    It should be ok, can't wait to put a rod in the water. Let me know if you can go thursday night