Water pump suction cup thingie

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by topjimmy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    I have one of those suction cup devices that accepts a garden hose so you can put it over the water intake holes in the lower unit and run the engine out of water. 2 questions:

How high do you have to turn the hose on for this to work? How low could you run the hose before it would not work? I find that if I turn the hose up too high, the water pressure moves the cups off of the intake holes.

How long should it take before the pump starts pumping water out the back of the engine? Yesterday I tested the engine before I went out, and the pump did not appear to work after about 5 seconds so I shut it off for fear of overheating and damaging the engine (it worked fine when I got to the lake though). How long can I run the engine with no water coming from the pump before I will damage it?

Ok, so I guess that was really 4 questions.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you are running a v4 engine you really need the two way ssuction cups (muffs) water coming in from both sides. It doesn't take long for the water to pick up if you have the muffs on correctly and also it takes about 15 seconds without water to burn the impeller up. Turn the water up to about half force any way. The hose should have enough pressure to force water up and into the head without the pump working.
    When you buy a set of those muffs get some good ones. The 4 dollar wal-mart ones don't get it.