Water pump replacement on '84 Merc 150

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Mid-MO fisherman, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Mid-MO fisherman

Mid-MO fisherman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Mo
    I am kind of new to boating but am an average mechanic. There arent too many thing i am afraid of tackleling. I was wondering how hard it is to replace the water pump on this motor. Have heard that it isnt too difficult. I just bought the boat in Oct. '05 and have no idea when it was replaced last. Want to go ahead and do it just to be on the safe side. I have heard enough horror stories that i definately dont want to wait until it is too late. Any help is greatly appreciated in advance.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Andy its not to hard to change out the water pump. If you have a manuel for that engine it helps a lot. Drop the lower unit and it exposes the water pump.
    You can go down to the library and they will most likely have a book on that engine.
    Its not all that hard though.

3. Mid-MO fisherman

State:
    Jefferson City, Mo
    Thanks alot. I will definately do that. I am fairly new to the site and my wife is starting to call me an addict. It is very easy to spend a couple of hours reading all of the interesting info on this site.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Andy, that's a couple hours for several months. Now if you want to go into reading the BS too, that'll take several yrs.

What I'm saying is, if you want clean oats, go out and buy them. If you want some oats that've been run through the horse, then this is the place to be.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I hear what you are saying there.:) My wife calles me a whole lot of other things to.

If you will look down at the lower unit right above the prop you will see a row of bolts under the flat plate known as the anti cavation plate . Take out these bolts. I think there are 4 that you can see. Look down on the cavation plate where the trim tab is sticking straight down and you should be able to put a socket or allen wrench down in it and remove the trim tab.
    Then look up under where the trim tab was and there will be another bolt take it out and the lower unit should slide out.
    If you have a camera take pictures along the way to help with reassembly.

Get you a whole water pump and not just the impeller ant that way you kinow what you have in there.
    When you get this torn apart repost and let me know for there is an easy way to get the impeller back in the cup and a few other tips for other maintance thing to do.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

LOL BOB you ain't right man.:grin-big:

7. Mid-MO fisherman

State:
    Jefferson City, Mo
    Thanks for the help Bubbakat. I will let you know how thing go.

8. Mid-MO fisherman

State:
    Jefferson City, Mo
    As for the BS, it is very entertaining.

9. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Wife says better to be reading about fish than at the bar fishing.

10. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas

You ain't right either. hehe

ST

11. Mid-MO fisherman

State:
    Jefferson City, Mo
    Took an hour this morning and disassembled lower unit from motor. Seemed pretty easy. Was gonna wait until my father in-law got here this evening but my curiosity got the best of me. Will probably let him help me put it back together. He really enjoys that kind of stuff. Now i am gonna go get the parts. Also figured out why speedo wasnt working. A rock about the size of half a dime found its way down in there and had everything blocked off. I am thinking that should solve that problem as i have already blown air through the line from the gauge back to this point. Was wondering if i should go ahead and replace the thermostats?

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If they haven't been replaced in awhile then go ahead and do it for the piece of mind. When you get ready to put the impeller back inside the cup put some dish washing liquid in the cup and then hold it down on the impeller while roating the drive shaft clockwise.and pushing down on the cup at the same time.
    Put just a little grease on the slines that fit up into the motor to keep it from seizing later. Don't put none on top of the shaft because this could cause a preload on the crank and drive shaft.
    Take your prop off and grease the spline on while you are at it. This will prevent it from seizing to. Good first of the year maint.

13. Mid-MO fisherman

State:
    Jefferson City, Mo
    Well got everything put back together last night. It put up a bit of a fight going back together but a little patience and holding my tongue just right got it all bolted back together. It was really pretty simple. The dish soap worked like a charm. Will definately remember that one and pass it along. Heck, my father in-law even learned something new. We also took out the fuel tank to gain access to the bilge pump as it has quite working. (note to self - gas tastes like s**t when siphoning. get someone else to do it next time.lol) Hopefully will get it fixed today. thanks for the info.

14. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Some times they can be a booger to get back togeather. I am in the same boat with the gas that is why I went and made me a 12 volt pump to do it with.:) :)