Water Pump Problem

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by MattShannon, Jun 22, 2007.

1. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Last year I had to get my impeller replaced. I've used it about 4 times and it went out again. Asked the dealer/mechanic as to why it went out again so soon. He said they do that sometimes. Is there a common reason/problem that cause the impellers to tear up/rip apart? I have a 4cly mercruiser I/O w/Alpha stern drive. 82model.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Dry starting them before putting in the water is the most common cause.
    You know thay quick check in the yard or on the ramp without water just to see if the thing will start.
    Todays rubber they make them out of ain't really rubber. and running in sandy water or rivers and sucking those small sand dirt and trash through the pumps will do it.

This will show you what a impeller will look like after 20 seconds of running without water. These are from quick starts to running for 20 seconds.

Attached Files:

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Wow.. Why they get so tore up that quickly? Lack of resistance (kinda like over-revving a car?)

4. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    bubbakat you have a lot of great info keep it coming and thanks

5. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Yes he does. Thanks a lot bubbakat, I am guilty of quick starts. I learned my lesson.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Matt we all are guilty of that at one time or another. Its like hey man lets see if that thing will hit. Just a quick start won't hurt it. Without that H2O to lube that cup the impeller has lots of friction inside it and hence rubber wears fast against a dry object. :roll_eyes:

Remember when we were kids and on the Gym floor we use to make our shoes squeal on the slick surface. :cool2:That is the same scenario but on a lot smaller surface.:tounge_out:
    I can offer one piece of advice though when purchasing a water pump get the one with the stainless cup and it will last longer but the rubber impeller will still burn down on dry starts.:sad2: