Water Pump not Pumping

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Gordhawk, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a friend that has a 40 HP Evinrude motor that quit pumping water yesterday. In fact he called me and I had to go out and tow him in to the dock. I was wondering if anyone could help him out in getting his water pump flushed out. He seems to think that the motor sucked a bunch of crap into the water pump,which made it quit pumping water. Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated. The river is very high right now,and there is a lot of crap in the water.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Glenn the only way I have found to clean those out when you get in that condition is to take the lower unit off and clean it all out. If it has the tell tell hose while the lower is off take some air and blow back down through the tube and that usually gets the trash out. Tell him to be sure to check the impeller and if it has signs of wear then to replace it. That silt in water is murder on impellers and wear plates.
    Go to the library here on this site and there is a article that was done up on water pumps with pictures.

3. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Willard,
    Thanks a lot for the information,I'll relay it on to my friend. He was thinking about trying to get something to stick in the pee hole and try to run some water through it. I don't know what he could use that would be small enough to fit in that small tubing. Do you think that would do any good if he could find something small enough to fit in that tubing?

4. LittleRiverBigFish

LittleRiverBigFish New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Glenn, I've been told that pipe cleaners work pretty well for clearing out the tell tale line.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I have used a piece of electric fense wire You can remove the pee tube and clean the fitting out with it removed from the engine. Ain't no biggie

6. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the info guys.