Water pump need help!!!!

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by bigheck, May 22, 2009.

1. bigheck

bigheck New Member

State:
    kansas
    Alright guys I went to the lake tonight and it was a short trip. Got the boat in the water and no water was coming out of the pump hose! So when I got home I checked the hose for cracks and check the area for obstructions, nothing. So does that tell me the water pump is shot? If so where is the best place to take it in the Topeka area? Lakeside marina is the only place that I know of. Any advice would help. Thanks in advanced!!

2. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    What kinda of motor is it. I did mine here just with in the last week, other than mercury messing with me and making 2 drive shaft sizes and including both O-rings in the kit it was not to hard to do. I did have help from several BOC memebers with pictures and tech sheets. I'm sure between every one here we can get you up and running with out getting hosed by the service places.

3. bigheck

bigheck New Member

State:
    kansas
    It's a 1979 25hp Johnson seahorse. I hope I can avoid going to a marina! I heard they are pretty high.

4. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I put wate rpumps on both of my boats this year only to find out I had "chunks" in my water jackets inside the motor. to answer your question, Arnies, just north of lawrence, everyone i know has had good luck with their work.

5. Charlie365

Charlie365 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    It is very common for the wasps/mud daubers to climb up into the holes of outboards and make their little mud stuff. When this happens the outlet hole or hose gets blocked or plugged up and no water will come through.

I would suggest you poke a good stiff piece of wire at least 8 inches to a foot long up through the outlet if you can to make sure it isn't just plugged up before you take the motor apart.

It really does happen a lot around our part of the country. Might not be your problem, but if it is it will save you a lot of trouble replacing the pump AFTER which you'd still find out the outlet was blocked.

6. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I use a cut off section of weed eater string to clear mine. I keep one in the boat too just incase I get something plugginf it up some.