Water pump location, '86 25hp johnson?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by dinkbuster1, Apr 11, 2006.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    past few times ive had the boat out ive noticed the cooling water streaming from my 25hp motor is just a trickle, about half of the output of my 9.9 mariner. where is the waterpump located on these motors and how hard are they to replace? i replaced one in a 7.5 gamefisher so i somewhat know what im doing:rolleyes:

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Hey mike its down in the lower unit. If you take off the lower unit and release the shift rod and slide the lower unit off it will be right there.
    You want me to pm you a exploded view of that lower unit.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    that would be great!

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I'm not saying you shouldn't replace the water pump. It's proper maintenance to do that every couple of years.

Try blowing some compressed air into the water outlet. It's common for them to plug up. If you can do it while it's running on a hose, that would tell you right away.

5. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    On my 25 hp Johnson, it has a plug that you can remove with a small hole in it for the p hole. Mine got weak and when I took out the plug, it was full of dead wood ants. Just what happened here. Cleaned them out and all is good.

Jim

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Down here in the south eastern USA,various small insects will stop up your "tell tale" hole.They like to crawl in and build a home.Also small trash,when running in places such as the Okefenokee Swamp is a real pain.You can be running in a slurry of peat and water,with all sizes and kinds of vegetation mixed with it.In the bad places,I ran with one hand on the tiller and the other back checking the telltale.Water temperature is the most important thing.Notice your normal water temperature,and you will know when it is running hot.I ran a hot 140 degree thermostat,for winter and extended slow speed use in my Mercury.I only had bugs in my 20 & 25 OMC motors as I did not run them in the swamp.You cain;t leave your hand under it without burning it,with some thermostats.I found that sandbars and low water were the worst water pump and prop enemies for me. peewee-williams