water pump change

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by BIG_D, Sep 24, 2009.

1. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    how hard will it be for me to change a water pump on a 1974 6hp evinrude i have never did it befor but sins i am doing the starcraft project this winter i thout it would be a good idea to add this to the list of things to do

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It's about as hard as falling off a log while pure dee old fashioned drunk... well, come to think of it, getting drunk may be easier. Either get the manual or try to xerox copies of those pages from the manuals at your public libraries. Follow those instructions, take you time and look at how the parts fit BEFORE you remove them. Maybe use a digital camera to record what your doing. Then, above all else, keep Bubbakat's email handy. LOL

3. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Dallas I have had good luck useing google on some projects. Put in something
    like small outboard water pump change pictures.

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I did mine and Its not too hard..I am in no way mechanically inclined..I had the book for the motor but I just assume have bought it written in chinese cause it probably woulda been easier to understand..I just used this section and some other message boards to get some tips..I just had a hard time figuring out how to disconnect the rod.Other than that it was pretty easy..

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    On that six take the four bolts out at the bottom and drop the lower unit. it you will put it in reverse I do believe it will drop about 1 to 2 inches. Facing the prop look on the right side in the split and you will see a rod that looks like it goes down through a brass flat collar. Take a 1/4 drive extension and I think 7/16 socket reach into it and take the top bolt all the way out. This is the shifter rod and it will turn the whole unit loose.
    Slide it out and look down the drive shaft and you will see the cup that houses the water pump. It doesn't matter which way the veins are going in the cup when it goes back together it will right itself on start up. Lube the cup with dish washing liquid when replacing. Grease every so slightly the upper splined end of the drive shaft. None on top because it will preload the crank.