Water pump change out??

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by ShilohRed, Aug 29, 2007.

1. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Bubba going to need to change out the water pump on my Yamaha 2000 model 25 hp 4-stroke.
    Have changed out lots of them, But never on a Yamaha or the 4 strokes. Anything different on one of these? This one has never been changed. But I also never turn it over dry also. I think that is why people have trouble with there water pump. Turn one over without water and your asking for trouble.
    Or I can let you change it out at Pickwick? And film it with my camera?
    Also will be time on the 140 Suzuki 4-stroke next year.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Pete I have never changed one out on a 4 stroker that new but I will find out how to do it and we can both have a learning experince at the gathering.
    My Moto is if its man made it can be repaired.
    You are spot on with the dry turn overs on the impeller. That practice is murder on those impellers.

3. Bigjonrigger

Bigjonrigger New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The 4 strokes are no different than the 2 strokes when it comes to the gearcase, unless it's one of mercury's verado products. If you've done a mercury water pump then you shouldn't have any problem with the yamaha. There almost identical.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Willard I just love the ones that dry start there motors each time on the ramp. And let her rip for 30 seconds. And then cry later on when there water pump goes out.
    If I think I need to run mine. I put on the muffs and run it .
    I may get a water pump and get her done..

I have changed out a lot of water pumps. But never on a Yamaha. did not think there would be a lot that would be different. But some of them have a little trick that makes it easy to change out.
    Mercury's are a piece of cake compared to a 70 or so model or for that matter about any OMC..
    Even fixed one or 2 electric shift OMC's years ago. Only took 2 cases of beer to put them back together. LOL I need to look and check where to unhook the shift linkage on it.
    I see you work in the boating world? Also welcome to the BOC.
    Pete