Water levels

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by cumberlandcat, Aug 3, 2007.

1. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Can somebody tell me why the cumberland has been down and slow for months now? Is it because of wolf creek dam like I have heard some say or is it just cause the rain has been so scarce? I can't find a straight answer but I sure would like to know. I can't even find any bait below old hickory dam and if it sucks right now what is it going to be like this winter. Thanks

2. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Chris, the extreme lack of rain this spring has the entire TVA river system at only about 3/4 of their MINIMUM water storage requirements for this time of year. Each reservoir along the system affects those above it, and the TVA must run certain minimum amounts of water through each dam for water quality purposes, not to mention power generation. Wolf Creek dam may certainly play a part in the Cumberland water level, but lack of rain is what is keeping the current so slow in our river systems. It does make you wonder what the winter will be like!

3. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well I am sure we will get some rain sometime, I just wish we would get it soon. I am quite worried about winter fishing and bait though, last year was a hard winter to find bait and fish at least for me.

4. catfishsteward

catfishsteward New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Even if we get rain, I wouldn't expect things to get much better in the Cumberland. I've heard the repairs at Wolf Creek Dam could take 7 years. Until they get it fixed, they will not be able to hold water in Lake Cumberland. That means we will get lots of flow right after it rains and then things will be slow until they get more water upstrem. They don't have enough space to store the water that they need to keep the river flowing consistently.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200770605029

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Getting to be scary up this way too fellas, we need rain in a bad way and hopefully when it comes it is not all at once...... 11/2" a day for a week would work.

6. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    yeah the hot summer with no rain is part of the water level and alot of it has to do with wolf creek dam. they have been dropping the Cumberland for a few weeks now getting it back to winter pool.. and it's way Early for that but it's all for wolf creek dam according to the local paper here in clarksville tn

7. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The TN river below pickwick dam is also down, catching bait has started to be an issue. Last night there was none to speak of some really small yellowtail shad were not able to catch any skipjack either. might have been because the father generators were on instead of #1,2. Spoke whith some fella fishing the catwalk while trying to catch bait and they were having same trouble. We need about 5 days of hard rain here.

8. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Went to Pickwick dam on Sat and caught as many skips as anyone would want or need! Fishing from the bank. Then hurried back to Memphis for the Cabela's Kingkat weigh-in. Just thought I would let you guys know!!:wink: I dont know how long they will be in there, there was about 300 people standing there fishing! Looked like a U.T. football game!!!

9. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Where abouts is pickwick dam, I have heard you guys talking about it a lot but have never been myself.

10. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.