water levels - how much is marion and moultrie down?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by FLAT, Nov 10, 2008.

1. FLAT

FLAT New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    how much is marion and moultrie down ? any boat ramps that you can't use ? last year at this time was'nt it down 8 or 10 feet ?:confused2:
    thanks

2. Mrs. Sunbird

Mrs. Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run, SC.
    Scott, my husband and company went last weekend out of Black's and were able to get in and out there. It was pretty low back in there he said. The entire system is about 4'-6' low maybe. Ask Roundhill! Most landings are open I think. Good luck if you go.

3. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
  4. smokkin99

smokkin99 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    The water level is down about 5 to 10 foot. We the SANTEE SMACKDOWN CREW(bearfrog and sunbird and myself) did not have any problems this weekend . We put in at Black's .

5. buster1395

buster1395 New Member

State:
    Abbeville, Sout
    Yeah I was just down there a few weeks ago and everything was fine. Few shallow spots around Blacks but just try to follow the white poles leading to the canal.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    For Lake Moultrie, approx. 75' is pretty full, but right now it is at approx. 71.5'. Below are the monthly averages for the 12 months:

Date AVG Stage
    2007/11 67.90
    2007/12 66.70
    2008/01 67.21
    2008/02 68.64
    2008/03 71.36
    2008/04 74.23
    2008/05 74.67
    2008/06 73.42
    2008/07 72.17
    2008/08 71.59
    2008/09 72.66
    2008/10 72.05
    2008/11 71.65

7. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    It was about 3 -4 feet down when me Smokin99 and Sunbird was there 3 days ago. (Not 5-10) Seen it that low once before though. If 5-10 them Blacks would be totally dry. Hope this helps,
    Jonathan
    PS. Will go to the above website (http://river-depth.com/graphs/02172000) to check out lake levels from here forward. Thanks for that link jk888. :wink:

8. Cgoyette

Cgoyette New Member

State:
    South Caro
    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/sc/nwis/dv?referred_module=sw&format=gif&period=730&site_no=02171000

many ramps are able to lanch but a foot more and many will have problems.

76.6 is full pool but most folks who live on the lake will tell you that we preffer 75.5......keeps the water just right on the seawalls!

We are low and will be low for some time! No one is happy, we get enough rain but in all the worng areas to do the lake any good. We need alot of water in the nc sc tn area and closer .....but seems like C twn gets all the water! They dont even want it!

Well use the link and it should help!

Curt

Curt

9. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    .....but seems like C twn gets all the water! They dont even want it!

Well use the link and it should help!

Curt

Curt[/quote]
    Curt, Are you kidding me ? with the southeastern drought being really bad the last several years Charleston is grateful for the water and will never complain about more. This drought is for real and the southeast needs a lot of rain. My parents live middle Tennessee, after two years of on and off water in there wells they have had to run pipe more than a mile to tap into the city water supply. Getting tired of so much rain is easy to do untill mothernature gives us a wakeup call.

10. Cgoyette

Cgoyette New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Curt, Are you kidding me ? with the southeastern drought being really bad the last several years Charleston is grateful for the water and will never complain about more. This drought is for real and the southeast needs a lot of rain. My parents live middle Tennessee, after two years of on and off water in there wells they have had to run pipe more than a mile to tap into the city water supply. Getting tired of so much rain is easy to do untill mothernature gives us a wakeup call.[/quote]

No I am not kidding, if you look at where we must have rainfall to FILL the lake (that was the topic) we have had enough but not in the run off areas.

The flooding in chaleston this year was not welcome but had that SAME rainfall been a hundred miles west we at the lake would be VERY happy.

The southeast drought is real and I know that but the lake was the topic. The weather paterns we have seen seem to surgest that we are in a cycle of lows and highs that push furthur east that they use too.

I have a house on the lake and I worry but I also know that the spill we MUST put over the dam to keep the river at proper levels also contributes to the lake level problems.

We need more rain granted and we also need it in the RIGHT place to CAPTURE it.

Curt

11. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina

No I am not kidding, if you look at where we must have rainfall to FILL the lake (that was the topic) we have had enough but not in the run off areas.

The flooding in Charleston this year was not welcome but had that SAME rainfall been a hundred miles west we at the lake would be VERY happy.

The southeast drought is real and I know that but the lake was the topic. The weather paterns we have seen seem to surgest that we are in a cycle of lows and highs that push furthur east that they use too.

I have a house on the lake and I worry but I also know that the spill we MUST put over the dam to keep the river at proper levels also contributes to the lake level problems.

We need more rain granted and we also need it in the RIGHT place to CAPTURE it.

Curt[/quote]
    Curt,
    I didnt mean to get off the topic at all. My home is in Charleston and our pond had flooded way out of its banks, it would have been great if humans had the power to transfer some of the water to other areas so badly in need, But we can't. And we are expecting more rain tonight. I'm not complaining even if it floods again. I hope and pray everyone in the southeast gets some.

12. Mechwarrior5

Mechwarrior5 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    According to the SC DNR drought status page, most of the low country is under "normal" rainfall conditions. It's the Midlands and the Upstate (worst of all) that really need the rain.

13. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    I've said it before on posts in the past and it is worth repeating:
    We need a slow moving Tropical Depression with low winds to dump alot of rain on us and NC. No wind damage, just rain...

14. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Well, judging by the nasty rain I went through earlier, we're gettin' it. I prayed all the way home for the Good Lord to fill up the lakes and rivers....