water leak some where??

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by viperdragon6662003, Jan 14, 2009.

1. viperdragon6662003

viperdragon6662003 New Member

State:
    IL
    Hi all. My grandfather has a older style bass fishing boat. He lets me take it out when ever i want. The last couple time i took it out i had to turn the bilge pump on to get water out of the back. I think i know where it is coming form but cant get to it. I think it is coming from ether the return line for the live well or the line that goes to the live well. but the thing is i dont know how to get to them to check it all out. Is there a way to pull up any of the boards for easier access so i can replace them if i need to for find the hole where it is leaking. Any answer would be helpful.

2. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    were you useing the live well? if you weren't pumping water to the live well it shouldn't leak unless the water was coming in from around the intake tube of the live well pump, if your not sure where the water was coming in from first i'd check the plug of the boat and make sure its in properly and was tight, my boat was taking in water around the brass fitting the plug slides into and i needed to caulk around the fitting, also caulk around the outside of the boat where the livewell intake brings water in, if the boat takes on water when the livewell is on then it could be the tube which goes to the livewell, getting to that depends on the setup of your boat, mine didn't really take on alot of water( cup or two and hour) so i just used the bildge for a while til i fixed it

3. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Also anything like a transducer or anything thats mounted to the back of the boat that might have been siliconed before might need re-done.

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    the only leaks have found in the boats i have had were in lines either coming in or out of the boat.
    I do no know what type of boat you have, but set the boat into the water turn on the livewell pump and look at all your lines.
    look at the drain plug see if its leaking, check all the simple stuff first. hope that u find the leak and it is easy to fix

5. viperdragon6662003

viperdragon6662003 New Member

State:
    IL
    thanks for all the help guys when it gets warmer out im going to try a check everything out just wanted to get some intel on what u guys might have thought. i just dont know if i have to change a hose if there is a leak in one how im going to do it anyone have any ideas. Just dont know how to pull up and boards and put them back down or just try to run them anyway i can. thanks for the answers

6. jrack1

jrack1 New Member

State:
    mo.
    plug your live well intakes, then fill the tanks (one at a time) with a garden hose add some red cool-aid it's easy to see. it could be seam run in at higher speeds. water will run up the side of the boat. on inboards your transom may need resealed (boots, cables etc.

7. jrack1

jrack1 New Member

State:
    mo.
    plug your well intakes,fill them with a garden hose (add some red cool-aid) one at a time, cheek for leaks. at higher speeds water will run up the side of a boat near the back in too the seams. transom may leak at , boots, cables etc.
    jerry