Water In the Gas Tank!

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by TOPS, Jun 26, 2007.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have a buddy here that has a 20 gal built-in tank, The Tank has water in it, much to hard to take out, Is there any product that one can buy to help dissolve that water?:confused2:

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Top Tell him to get all the gas out. You can take a small 12 volt pump and get 99% of it out. Automotive treatment for getting water out of gas is bad for an outboard. Or if this is and inboard it most likely would work.

I would dump me a can of sea foam in it and add fresh fuel and then spend 25 bucks on a fuel water seperator. The kind with a spin on filter. If he doesn't do it this way it will plague him with little dropplets of water trying to pass through the carbs and that makes for some rough running.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Yes, Verlon!!!
    It is called a "Kentucky Credit Card" you and others may know it as a syphon hose, LOL!!! Have him tilt the trailor back so the water in the tank will run to the back corner and slip the hose into the back corner of the tank and syphon it out.
    Another trick we used to use in a car was put a little rubbing alcohol in the gas, the water will mix with the alcohol and the alcohol water mix will mix with the gas. This one might be a little tricky because of the temps that the alcohol burns at, don't put to much in it. In a 20gal. tank on a car we would use a half of a bottle.

4. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    You can use an old 12volt electric fuel pump and pump her out with little effort in to an old gas can. Then i would use fresh gas and double the amount of seafoam it will get water out of the carbs if there not totally full.

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    another good idea is on the syphon hose, cut a small slit closer to the end and stick the air blower from a compressor in it and it will make you a vacuum that you can suck all the crap out with, have used this many times to clean out the bottom of tractor fuel tanks

6. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    pretty much what these guys said i would tilt it back & use the pump to get it out & then the seafoam