Water in Pontoon

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Ace, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    My son just acquired 1983 Play Craft 24 foot pontoon boat for free.
    The boat had been sitting in the lake for two year.
    When we got the boat out of the water we pulled the drain plugs out of the
    pontoons and a good amount of water drained out.
    My friend Dragger said that the pontoon boat dealer told him that that was
    normal.
    My son and I want to restore the old boat for a catfish boat any info from you guys would be appreciated .

Ace:0a31:

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I have had so many problems with leaks that I couldn't tell you whether that's normal or not. But I'd think condensation could put a small amount in them. But I wouldn't think it would be very much at all. If it does have a tendency to get water in them, make sure you store it during freezing weather with the bow up. I had a small amount of water in my right pontoon last year and it froze and popped a small part of the seam. Good idea to store with bow up.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    In the winter time I would get me a gal of RV antifreeze and put about a half gal in each toon and that would prevent any expansion of the freezing water.

You can pressure test the toons and find the leaks but I am doubting you could keep them all out though.

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    In my experince with toons water in them is normal. It's not a bad idea either to replace the plugs every couple of years. We only pull our toon out of the water every couple of years to drain them and to replace the plugs.

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Mine was in the water for 10 years. The last year I've had a boat lift.

I would think the only way water could get in would be from a leak. I saw one out from my boat dock that had a leak.... one side sunk!