Water in Lower Unit

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by calogan, Jul 4, 2009.

1. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was changing the lower unit lube(thanks for the previous advice) and found water in the lower end unit. The oil was not milky, but definite water, came out first, than the oil. Is this a big deal, and what can be done about it?

Thanks

2. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Yes it is a big deal. you need to put a seal kit in the lower unit.or you will be replacing the gear set next. good luck

3. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
  4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Replacing the seals can be a fairly expensive proposition. I think before I go to that extreme, I'd first replace the fiber washers that fits on the two lower unit fill plugs. You can order them through most auto parts stores. I use O'Reilley's and NAPA pretty much for my part needs. Takes 1 day service normally. Change out the lower unit lubricant, replace the seals, and head for the lake/river. When you get home, check the lower unit again... if you have water this time it will require a major repair. Think its about 200.00 to 250.00 for a lower unit rebuild, depending on parts.

5. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks! So do I just take one of the washers in and have them replace them, or do I need to have them order a specfic washer for that motor?

6. muddyriverdogz

muddyriverdogz New Member

State:
    Illinios
    What brand,size and year is the motor in question?

7. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I believe its a 89', at least a late 80's, Evinrude 9.9 hp.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It will be specific washers, but I think most Evinrudes washers will fit any Evinrude. Don't think a merc's washers will fit a Evinrude. I'd take one of the washers and one of the screw plugs with me so they can match them up the way they should be. They were awfully expensive, like 8 cents each. LOL. I got a bunch of them when I last got some.

9. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks, I'll do that. At 8 cents a piece though, I'm not sure how many I can get,LOL. Its probably not a bad idea to replace the washers in my other motor either, don't know how those have been in....