Water in lower end

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by wannafish, Sep 22, 2007.

1. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have a Mercury 650 Thunderbolt serial# 2206852 , took it out today for 1st time w/fresh oil in it and got home and drained a milkshake from it and put fresh back in it...the guy I just bought it from said he just put a water pump kit in it(himself)and gave me an extra water pump kit also new in box w/orings and such ...what seals needs to be done and can I do it? I don't have a manual , can I use it tomorrow for a short haul to my fav fishing spot?If I have to take it to the shop about how much do you think it will cost?Thanks

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    What I would do is take the fill and drain screw out and take those fiber washers that are in behind them and go to a local marine shop and purchase new ones and replace them and then try again.
    That is the most often overlooked gaskets that need to be replaced about every two years that I have ever encountered.

I have seen guys replace every seal in a lower unit and leave the old drain and fill screw gaskets in and wonder where they messed up.

If you need to go tomorrow refill with new oil and go and enjoy but don't venture to far and it should be okay.

3. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    ok , I went out and pulled those screws back out and guess what ...no fiber gaskets what so everI will look in the other water impeller kit and see if there are 2 in there ...Thanks hope that wil do it

4. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    In the mallory water pump kit there is 2 fiber washers not real wide but I don't have a parts list of them in the kit so don't know if that is what they are for

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    They could be white or clear looking plastic. They won't be on the screws they will be in the little round holes that the screws are recessed in. I take a small sharp pointed pick or knife blade and pop them out. They also don't come with a water pump set either. Thats a counter part and aren't very expenseve so get two sets when you go get some.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Take one and see if it will fit over the screws and inside the recessed place. They make a snug fit on the screws and in the recessed hole to.

7. Eurolarva

Eurolarva New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    If you have a mercury dealer near you they are less then a buck a piece and the part number is 12-191833

8. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I popped them out , got 2 new washers and a new bolt for the bottom so there is a magnet on it ..will find out next weekend if it works ..if not I guess it will be off to the repair shop for bottom seals if not too much ...winter layoff coming soon so have to take it easy to make wifee happy ..thanks all

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You can do those your self and save that money. Ain't no biggie.

10. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have looked for a manual locally and for online help for instructions and pics for help in doing it ...also need to order the parts any idea of a good place for all that Thanks again

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yep I'll get you some things that will help you.

12. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would appreciate it , I called shop today and they quoted $250 , said a special tool is needed and named all of these seals that needed to be replaced , if it costs that much I am done fishing until Spring as lay off is coming fast and a tight budget follows and no extras for boat....I would pay someone around here to help me do it if they know how...

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Where do you live at in tenn roy. They are assuming that you need all seals including prop seal. If it doesn't get any more water in it after replaceing the screw seals then no worry. If it gets a little them most likely its the shift shaft seal which is no biggie.

14. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am in Clarksville , right next to Ft Campbell ...I will find out Sat or Sun if the washers did the trick , but had a bunch in it was real thin consistency(runny) after just about 1 mile run time and sitting in water 3 hours ..

15. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You can take that lower unit off and pressure test it to find out where she is leaking and then the guessing is gone. Easy to do and won't cost much to do it.
    I am about 85 miles south east of nashville and if you want to bring it over sometimes I'll be more then glad to help you do it. Or you can do it at home and I'll talk you right through it.

16. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    we were getting everything ready to go out tomorrow and check it again w/new washers.As we were looking we found what looks a small chip out of lower end 1" below the fin where you would mount a hydrafoil on the ridge towards the hull....doesn't quite look factory can see a small hole going in...Bkat is there a number I can call you?Thanks Roy

17. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    well still had water in it , when I got home w/motor in up postion I noticed a small leak out of lower fill hole , even with new screw and gasket and area cleaned , but took lower off(suprisingly was easy even w/out knowing how) , now can anyone tell me how to pressure test it? Thanks again

18. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Set it in a can of water with the lower unit surmerged below where the shift shaft and water pump set on it and either get a fitting that will screw into the fill hole and apply air to it. Not over 10 or 12 pounds of pressure. In a pinch I have taken a rubber valve stem that goes in a car wheel and held it tight against the hole and applied air. The seal that leaks will have air bubbles comming up around it and that is why you don't want a hole lot of air to it. To much and it will rupture the good seals.

19. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    well I did break down last week and had it done .I found a guy that works for a shop during the day and has his own repair shop at nights and weekends. $195 for all seals , water pump , oil , labor and he put it back on at 10PM when I was having problems with the shift shaft .Just so we could go fishing the next morning with the kids. If anyone in the Clarksville area needs professional help let me know , I would recomend him to anyone.He had it done in 3 days and was about $100 cheaper than anyone in town. Very polite and looked forward to my business , which now a days to not be a number was really nice...just thought I would let ya'll know ..Thanks bubbacat for everything

20. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Glad you got her done and now have some fun with it. Thanks for the follow up.