Water Froze/Not froze

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by MRR, Jan 31, 2007.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Can some of you Mississippi River Fisherman explain to this dumb hillbilly why parts of the river is froze and some isn't.
    I noticed here at Louisiana,Mo that the river is froze all the way accross ,but 1/2 to3/4 mile downstream it is wide open,then farther on downstream it's froze again. Seems stange to me so whats the deal?

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Just guessing here, but maybe something on the bottom is causing a "boil" of warmer water from the bottom.

3. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Lots of factors can figure into a river freezeing or not.
    current speed. Faster current slower to freeze out.
    Are there any warm water discharges.
    and the above mentioned. Roiling water.

Rivers can be pretty dangerous when they ice over. Up Mn the majority of them freeze but it has to be really cold. The ice might be 6-12 inches thick in some areas and then 20ft away its 1/2 inch.

thanks
    Larry

4. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    It depends on a whole bunch of factors. There could be certain things heating up under the water from the sun such as rocks and plant growth. It also could be deeper in the part of the creek. The sun might hit there all day compared to hitting only part of the day in some spots. The current could also be a factor. It also might be that it is shallow and the sun is heating the ground underneath faster than the deeper parts. I just learned all that stuff in ice rescue class about a week ago. Hope i helped a little.:lol: