water front property

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catin38, Oct 8, 2009.

1. catin38

catin38 New Member

State:
    alabama
    guys i have a chance to buy some water front land.. i was wondering if anyone here owned any and could give me your opinion on the pros and cons of owning ..

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I live on part time waterfront property. I live here full time, but the waterfront is part time depending on what kind of mood the corps of engineers is in. The water level here fluctuates radically at times. I lived on an inland lake in northern Wisconsin before I came here and it was great. I could put my boat in in the spring and leave it till late fall.

3. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    from the little i know about it ........ wave action can erode ur yard if u don't have a seawall and in alabama i reckon snakes might be a problem ....

4. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I have always thought it would be nice to live on a lake or river. Fishing anytime I wanted to. Having a hole I could keep baited with no trouble at all. Just be able to walk down to myu dock and get in my boat, push off and be there.
    Or the next best thing is to have a BUDDY that lives on one. :wink: Ole Buddy:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

5. catin38

catin38 New Member

State:
    alabama
    hehe:smile2: ill be sure to invite you to our house warming party if i decide to buy:wink:

6. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    depends where in alabama it is ? if it was here you would need to hit the lotto:wink:

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Some one mentioned snakes: moth balls should take care of the snakes just scatter a few moth balls around and go for it.

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Pros: You're on the waterfront! :smile2:

Cons: It costs a lot. :wink:

BB in SC

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm a little late but was gone when you posted.

In the right area water front property is still one of the best investments one can make. Like they say, they're not building new lakes.

Nothing beats living on the water... fish anytime you wish, enjoy boating, water toys and you'll always have the beautiful scenery of the water to enjoy. Everything in your own backyard!

If you're not on a lake maintained by the US Army Corps of Engineers you will probably be able to have your own boat dock. Even on Corps lakes boat docks are sometimes allowed but heavily regulated.

Corps lake are built for flood control, they vary the level as needed. This means a floating dock it will have to be continually moved in or out.

On Corps lake you will not be permitted to own property to the shore. There is a narrow strip of land that belongs to the government, you will not be able to cut trees or clear. You can only clear a walking path from your property to the shore.

Some lakes like the one we live on are constant level lakes. The only time the level is lowered is during the winter months. It's lowered then for folks to work on seawalls and to kill aquatic growth in shallow water. The lake is owned by Entergy Power company.

You will also need a sea wall.

Most lakes require homeowners to tie on to the center sewer system. This requires an underground tank, grinder pump, controls and piping to the main line.

As far as snakes... I've seen two small ones in 15 years.
    But there are plenty spiders!

10. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I bought 0.94 acres water front property (vacant land) in 1986 for $60,000, the tax value currently is $695,000, before the current recessions, lot were selling for $800,000 plus. Also, I put up a Key Stone sea wall in 1987 and I have never regretted it. Like Dayton said, they are not building many lakes anymore and that creates demand, which means big bucks. If I was in the market to buy my property, I could not do it now!

I have not given this information to brag, just showing you how lake front lots can go up in value if in the right location.

11. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ive seen where Mac lives and its awsome if I had the chance and the cash I would love it.

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    You can see prices are higher in Mac's area.

We also gave $60,000 for our lot in 1992. 110 ft water front, .75 acres. Today's tax valve is $669,000, but that includes house and dock.
    Lake property is still selling, not been much change due to the recession. But not many lots are available.

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I know someone that bought 3-1 acre lots at Buggs Island on the water right after the lake was built.
    Still has them and still undeveloped. He gave 500 bucks a piece for them.
    What a gold mine.