Water Flow Trouble Shooting

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by FishBrew, Jan 6, 2007.

1. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I have a 2005 Merc. 50 HP, 2 cycle ELPTO. Last weekend notice the water pump indicator hole had maybe a 1/3 of the flow it should have coming out of it. Because of its age and relatively limited hours, I'm hoping its not an impeller change needed.
    This morning, checked the primary & secondary intakes, looks clear. No fishing line around prop (seal area appears normal). I hooked up the water hose to the intakes, cranked it in the driveway, still very slow flow out if indicator.
    Besides dropping lower unit, is there some trouble shooting ideas out there? Blockage somewhere thats a fairly quick check?
    I put myself through college working in an automotive machine shop so turning wrenches or having tools is not an issue. Just have not worked on many outboards, at least not enough to know all the tricks/trouble shooting. Naturally, I'd like to avoid tearing it down if possible.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Blow compressed air into the discharge hole either before running it or while running it. You might have an obstruction in there. or it's possible you need a water pump change already.

3. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    dirt daubers!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:oooh:

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Jason I lived in north central texas for 15 years and while I was there I noticed that sand would get blown into the water pick up and when first start up it would ge lodged either in the tell tell tube or in the water passage in the head. You can pick up a lot of sand at the ramp when first launching the boat.
    What coach said is very possible and I also noticed when I was there that a water pumps life was about half of what I get here in tenn. I run the rivers alot in tenn and I change water pums every year. I also install water pressure gage on all my outboards to let me know when the pump in wearing down.

5. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    thanks guys, I'll give it a try

6. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    Like Coach said, bugs. My motor pees slowly for a minute or so every once and a while because of critters building nests in it. Only once have I had to actually snake out the water passage. The pressure from the pump eventually forces the dirt out. Just let it idle while the water does its work so you won't overheat the engine.

7. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Does your engine have a screw in flush around the tell tale tube. I have an 05 Merc and it does. If so screw in the hose there and then turn water on and then start the engine. I always keep a weed eater string in my boat, sometimes a little rock gets stuck right close to the end of the tell tale tube and it clogs it. Its possible that you have a bad impeller but I would say probably not unless you are running through sand bars all the time. If you dont have the flush port like mine, put the muffs on, turn water on, start the engine and then stick the weed eater line into the tell tale tube and it will most likely unblock it. Hope this helps. Jason