Water Filter

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by Kutter, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Not sure where this should be posted on here, so I'll put it here and Mod's are welcome to move it if desired.

Does anyone have a Katadyn Pocket Water Filter? I recently purchased one (or should I say took out a second mortgage for one). The filter has a green half circle plastic thing that fits halfway around the ceramic, but I have no clue as to what it is for. I have read all the paperwork and checked their website, nothing. Only thing I have found was in the parts blowup, it shows it as going over the ceramic filter. This must be for cleaning or something, because it cannot be put together with it on.

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Tom, I don't have the Katadyn, but I'm going to guess that that might be a gauge for measuring wear on the ceramic. The ceramic wears when you clean it, probably with some kind of abrasive pad. At least that's how it's done on my MSR MiniWorks.

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    You may just be very well right!!
    Rated for 13,000 gallons.
    I do think it will take a spell before I wear out the ceramic, cleaning. LOL
    Thanks

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    That's definitely the Cadillac of portable water filters. It's great for organic stuff, just be aware that that a ceramic filter will not do much to remove chemicals, pesticides, and heavy metals, which requires something like activated carbon. In other words, don't filter the water out of the Mississippi while you are waiting for the catfish to bite. Also, be careful about letting it freeze while damp, this could cause small cracks in the ceramic that would let the little swimmies through.