water eagle rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by cathouse, Jan 27, 2009.

1. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Ok gang i need help , i am seriously considering 1 of these in the longest heavy power version , Now my intended use is channels in moderate current , usually 4-5 oz. including bait will about do it in the couple of spots were this rod will be needed . So i wouid like some input from those with knowlege of this rod , i"ll more than likely team it up with a shimano 4500 if or similar size okuma bait feeder type reel and 20 pound mono , and the rod won't see a great deal of use i would imagine . Oh and i'm hoping fro around a 100 yds. or so is that doable with this setup ?

2. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I just read up on the specs on the 13ft. version is it normal to have so little (6) guides on a rod of this type or is this to keep the price down or maybe for distance , less line contact ?

3. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just built a 13' rod of similar type and I only used 7 guides. Could be a couple of different reasons they only use 6 guides. First could be to help with the casting distance. or it could be that they are trying to keep the rod light and more sensitive. As long as there are no long flat spots along the blank when pressure is being put on the fishing line then you should be fine.

4. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Still looking around , looked at the glow sticks . I am totally lost on this one , distance casting . Maybe i should read up more on that part first and try to get an idea what makes up a good setup for achieving distance under my given circumstances and needs . Not wanting to break the bank for this particular combo might leave me head scratching a bit , as previously posted i don't foresee putting a lot of wear and tear on it , but i don't like wasting money either , i might even go with a casting model that way i can use a reel i already own maybe my squidder , that would allow me to spend more on a rod if need be , now with all that said i am open to suggestions but remember what's needed long cast ( 100 yards would be nice ) , 4-5 oz. total weight 5 is extreme i believe , moderate current , i would like something not to cumbersome . The only reason i ha'n't even considerd the longer uglies in the fore mentioned length is i heard they were like waving a 2x4 , and oh yeah targeting channel cats .

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    if your looking to get distance the 12' nite stick is a lead slinger and fairly light. a little over kill for small channels though. if your looking for a good cheep rod kong kats and whuppin sticks are good.

6. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know Cabelas sells the rods you are talking about. I have seen them but never used them. I would also suggest Bass Pro's Power Plus rods. Before I switched to bait casters, I fished a couple of years with a 12' Power Plus and an Okuma Avenger spinning reel. Combined cost now is probably under $80.00. I used the rig from the river bank casting 6oz and cut bait with no problem. If you are fishing for channels, I would get off the #20 mono and drop to a lighter test, or use #50 power pro. You will get more distance using a smaller diameter line. Good luck.