Water droping and the catfish bite

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Marshall, May 23, 2009.

1. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    I fish a huge lake here in Kentucky. Herrington to be exact but anyways with lots of heavy rain the last few weeks the lake was very high. they have been leting water through the dam for a week so. They cant release it quickly because it will flood that part of the kentucky river. My question is does the bite slow or even stop while the water is droping? TIA

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I wouldnt think so unless they really let alot out,id think it would have to ge pretty low to effect it to much.

3. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I have found with all the myths about weather and moons and so forth, water dropping killing the "bite" is the surest bet. but, with that said, try steep ledges w/ different depths.

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I wouldnt think it would cause a total stop in the bite but it might slow down a bit . Here at carlyle lake the gates are different all the time might have 2 open one week and 4 open the next and I never noticed a difference when fishing the lake .

Can you fish below where the water is being let out into the Kentucky ? Might be some nice cats up in there .

5. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    There are times when theres alot of water behind the dam but for the last several years its dried completly up. I do intend on fishing the Kentucky River soon though. Ive never fished it.

6. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have seen it when the water was in flooded condition that the bite
    was crazy it could not get any better. The catfish were biting like
    you would not believe. When the water crests and starts to fall the
    bite defiantly drops off. When fishing below a hydro dam and they
    cut the wheels off its like cutting the bite off with a switch. I say
    this as my experience, but it might be that the bite changes and I
    do not know how to adapt to the change.