Water drop wasn't so bad

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Tuttlecat, May 15, 2009.

1. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Fished a few holes on the Kaw and kept moving away from the little Channels. Started finding some bigger fish in 4 ft. of water. Lost couple Flatties in the wood, but managed to get some Channels to 9 and a pair of 6 pound Flats. All on cutbait and crawlers.

Attached Files:

2. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    way to go, another nice day out on the Kaw. Looks like she might be coming up some with all the rain we are getting now.

3. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Bryan nice mess of fish! Sounds like you got on them pretty good. I agree with Dsage the river is going to start going back up some now! :eek:oooh:

4. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Bryan,
    What size weight were you using? Looks like about a 3 ounce no roll in the pic. I've been using 8-12 ounces and its still not holding.

5. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Jealous, you actually get to keep some fish:embarassed::sad2::embarassed:.

Sure is nice running the river when it's up a bit and the trash has stopped flowing!!!

Congrats on a nice mess of fish.

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Thats a good haul there Bryan. What time is dinner ? :smile2:

7. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    good job, congrats. is the hot oil I smell?

8. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    3 to 6 oz, straight behind the boat. Still plenty of leaves and small stuff accumulating on the lines. May have got a quarter inch of rain here, don't know what ran into Tuttle. Lots of sandbars back up, but less wood floating.

9. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    BTW not that I am scared of the wood:wink:

Give it more gas to get over it:eek:oooh:

10. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Got me all fired up Bryan, going to hit the river with some crawlers in the morning............as long as it not a downpour!!

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    you lucky dog id probally be divorced if i lived that close to the river :tounge_out: course id never know cause id be at the river LOL:roll_eyes::smile2::wink:

12. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Good luck Charlie. Tim was with me, and caught most of the smaller Channels on crawlers just a few feet from the mud banks. (Along with a ton of drum):smile2:

13. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Went and bought some turkey livers last night, thought I might see what the Kaw channels think of that stuff. Wonder if bluecat like turkey, a nice blue would be a bonus. I'm hoping the crawlers will catch me something worth cutting up for bait. Rivers up enough here you could probably run from Lawrence to Eudora and never have to slow down. I see the Kansas wind is pretty fresh this morning, will have to throw out a drift sock to stay in place.

Brandon, a few years ago the wife was a little less than understanding about the amount of time I was spending on the river............compared to the amount of time I was spending on honey-do's. Now I consider myself lucky just to go fishing, work and family responsibilities finally caught up with me:wink:.

14. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Nice haul Bryan. I thought they didnt bite when the river was falling.:smile2::wink:
    Good luck Charlie!:cool2:

15. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Sounds like a good day of fishing and our forecast sounds a lot drier for a couple of weeks.Has anyone eaten any sturgeon? I want to get up there and catch one some day.

16. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ray,
    Make sure you know how to tell the difference on the sturgeon. They have been stocking Pallid sturgeon to try to get them to reproduce. It is illegal to keep the Pallid. This is why they have been destroying the wingdam's on the Missouri river, notching the back of them to sustain habitat for the sturgeon. :sad2:

17. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Charlie,
    Did you have any luck on the river?

18. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    I could not help but try it again today fro 10am to 4:30 or so. The water is down around a foot from yesterday, and it is REAL skinny in some places. I could see the bottom in several places next to the boat. Missed a few short bites, and at least two small Flatheads, managed to boat 2 five pound Flats.:sad2:

19. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    No luck on my part, had a couple of hits on liver but that was it. Did more running than fishing, my has the river changed since last year!! Did find some real shallow water in places it never was, going to be a real treat when the river gets to normal levels..........guessing it's 3-4 feet high right now. There was no seeing the bottom down this way, water was very turbid and lots of small debris. Enjoyed getting out, but I've got to get some better bait. Boat ramp is a pain here, 2 more feet of mud on the ramp by the time I got back. Ran to just above Mud creek............no new snags and very few old ones either:sad2:. Wish I'd took the camera, had a small buck deer swim the river as I was heading back. It's amazing how fast a deer can swim............especially when they see a big green 16' boat heading their way. Got pretty close but the deer started to get really spooked so I back off and just watched, it was breathing pretty hard already and didn't figure me being close would help matters. Pretty neat sight.

20. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Tuttle supposed to release again today:big_smile:

2500cfs, but it will have to do.

Tomorrow I'm gonna take my two Uncles, that I can't remeber the last time we fished together.:cool2: