water dogs

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by deerkillin101, Apr 16, 2008.

1. deerkillin101

deerkillin101 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i'v been seeing alot of water dogs where i'm fishing and wondering if anyone has used them for bait and if so how do they work for cats they, also are call mudpuppys?

2. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    Ive never tried to use them for bait but I`ve caught a few. They are also known as a hellbender, I think that`s the real name and the rest are nick names. Correct me if I`m wrong.

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    great for bait i like the big ones and make sure you use two hooks and also keep the dead ones they work to just freez them for another day

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have never used water dogs for cats but they are some good bass fishing bait

5. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Be careful in handling them ....I know of a man that had one chomp down on a finger and the finger got badly infected real quick and he lost the end of his finger ... Garry- :cool2:

6. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    They are excellent bait for catfish and bass.

7. deerkillin101

deerkillin101 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    good news from all maybe next time i go i'll get about a dozen or so and try them

8. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County

Actually there 2 differnt critters..Jason and Jack seem to catch more then anyone ive ever fished with..but yeah there 2 differnt things..The Hellbender is a mean, super slimy and looks like its skin is two big for its body...if you catch one of theses do it and your self a favor and make a gift of your hook to it and cut the line

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    DJ is correct. Mud Puppy's and Water dogs are two different salamanders. Mud puppy's are quite frequently used for bait through out the eastern United States. Hell Benders are on the endangered list for Ohio I don't know about the others. If you catch a Hellbender please release it unharmed. They are the biggest salamander in the US and never did anything to any body. They are completely harmless, but ugly as he11:cool2: lol

First pic is a Mudpuppy
    Second pic is the Hellbender

Attached Files:

10. deerkillin101

deerkillin101 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    ok thanks for the pics what i'm getting is the mudpuppys and where i'm finding them there is no shortage that is for sure :big_smile:

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    When the catfish are spawning try hooking them through the lips on a weedless hook with a small or no weight if you can throw it without one. Throw it into the weedbeds and if a bass doesn't hammer it a catfish will and hard!

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    never used them for cats, but when 2 of them got into a minnow trap and scared me like a school girl!!!! :roll_eyes: yall can have them nasty things....:smile2::tounge_out: rollo

13. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    That would be a nasty little supprise...especially if you wernt looking lol
    A few years ago I saw one swallow a 7/0 circle hook with a shad on it ..Its head wasnt any bigger than the hook its self was

14. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    This reminds me of a time a friend and I went fishing in an area long known to produce large Flatheads. It is a rock that stands out away from the bank and is surrounded by water on all sides. It is known as the Devils tea table and is located just a few hundred yards up stream from the intake wall at the Gallatin Steamplant. We were fishing off the tea table one night and it was about 12:00 midnight and the moon was full. My friend had on a piece of cutbait and the water was really deep around the rock. He had been getting a lot of bites and nibbles and just jerked real hard and said I've got something small on here. He was reeling in his line and just as the line reached the top of the water a monster fish swirled and hit the bait on the hook and made a swirl in the water about the size of a truck bed. From the low glow of the moon and lantern we witnessed what looked like a 100lb Flathead that went after the small thing that had taken the cutbait. Yep you guessed it a mudpuppy about 10" long. We missed the huge fish and never got another bite that night.... But I will never forget what I saw that night. So In answer to your question....yeah they are good bait for a " big one ".:crazy:

15. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    After looking at the Pictures a couple posts back I believe what we hooked was a Hell Bender. Mean and nasty looking thing!:crazy:

16. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Muddpuppies are great bass bait . Hellbenders are rare and on endangered species list in Missouri. I have handled both .

17. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    Thanks for the informative post. Of course we can always count on Netman Jack for all the facts and pictures. I've never used these for bait, but I've had plenty of days when I've ran out and search the creek beds for softcrawls, snails or leeches to use, I'll be sure to keep my eye out for the water dog now.

:wink:

18. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Yes sir, mud puppys are used for bait wherever they can be found. In South Dakota I used them for bass, pike and walleyes.

19. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    Thanks for the insights. Yes the critters I occasionally catch here in WV are the Hellbenders. I only seen 8 or 10 in my life and they are ill tempered. I released all I`ve caught with the hook. Way too many teeth to fight for the price of a hook. I don`t think I`ve ever seen the Mud Puppy. Ya learn something new every day.