Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Be careful in handling them ....I know of a man that had one chomp down on a finger and the finger got badly infected real quick and he lost the end of his finger ... Garry- :cool2:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Ive never tried to use them for bait but I`ve caught a few. They are also known as a hellbender, I think that`s the real name and the rest are nick names. Correct me if I`m wrong.

Actually there 2 differnt critters..Jason and Jack seem to catch more then anyone ive ever fished with..but yeah there 2 differnt things..The Hellbender is a mean, super slimy and looks like its skin is two big for its body...if you catch one of theses do it and your self a favor and make a gift of your hook to it and cut the line

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
DJ is correct. Mud Puppy's and Water dogs are two different salamanders. Mud puppy's are quite frequently used for bait through out the eastern United States. Hell Benders are on the endangered list for Ohio I don't know about the others. If you catch a Hellbender please release it unharmed. They are the biggest salamander in the US and never did anything to any body. They are completely harmless, but ugly as he11:cool2: lol

First pic is a Mudpuppy
Second pic is the Hellbender

Attachments

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
When the catfish are spawning try hooking them through the lips on a weedless hook with a small or no weight if you can throw it without one. Throw it into the weedbeds and if a bass doesn't hammer it a catfish will and hard!

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
This reminds me of a time a friend and I went fishing in an area long known to produce large Flatheads. It is a rock that stands out away from the bank and is surrounded by water on all sides. It is known as the Devils tea table and is located just a few hundred yards up stream from the intake wall at the Gallatin Steamplant. We were fishing off the tea table one night and it was about 12:00 midnight and the moon was full. My friend had on a piece of cutbait and the water was really deep around the rock. He had been getting a lot of bites and nibbles and just jerked real hard and said I've got something small on here. He was reeling in his line and just as the line reached the top of the water a monster fish swirled and hit the bait on the hook and made a swirl in the water about the size of a truck bed. From the low glow of the moon and lantern we witnessed what looked like a 100lb Flathead that went after the small thing that had taken the cutbait. Yep you guessed it a mudpuppy about 10" long. We missed the huge fish and never got another bite that night.... But I will never forget what I saw that night. So In answer to your question....yeah they are good bait for a " big one ".:crazy:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thanks for the informative post. Of course we can always count on Netman Jack for all the facts and pictures. I've never used these for bait, but I've had plenty of days when I've ran out and search the creek beds for softcrawls, snails or leeches to use, I'll be sure to keep my eye out for the water dog now.

:wink:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks for the insights. Yes the critters I occasionally catch here in WV are the Hellbenders. I only seen 8 or 10 in my life and they are ill tempered. I released all I`ve caught with the hook. Way too many teeth to fight for the price of a hook. I don`t think I`ve ever seen the Mud Puppy. Ya learn something new every day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.