Water Dogs good catfish bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Boomer, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Anyone ever try Water Dogs for catfish bait? Just wondering, I know a small pond at home, that is loaded with them. I know they are good bass bait, but would like to know if anyone has used them catfishing and what the results were?

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    cats will hit a waterdog too. i used to use only waterdogs when i was a kid, because they were a free bait. now i see folks payin a couple bucks for one. should have went into the waterdog business...

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    yes i have used them and yes have caught my share on them but if you use the big ones put two hooks in them because the cats will cut them in half

4. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    People use them in Oklahoma mostly for bass fishing, and the bass tear them up.

I had never tried them on catfish. Usually they are not found in the rivers and lakes I fish, so I was kind of iffy on wasting my time seining some.

Thanks for the input

5. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have caught flatheads useing waterdogs on ft.gibson and the arkansas river in oklahoma.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Gary,Here in New Mexico,I used them as trotline bait when I was in my teen's and They definately do work for cats. I can't afford to buy them here at 7>00 a dozen tho.

7. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    223, I'd love to be able to find them to $7 a dozen, the only place around me are $20 a dozen, have caught some cats on them, but usually the largemouth green carp tear them up before the cats get a chance.

8. KatfishKyle

KatfishKyle New Member

State:
    Wayne Co. Ohio
    OK, may be a dumb question, but...whats a waterdog? I dont belive ive ever heard of them, slang name for another fish maybe? :confused2:

9. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

It's a lizard Kyle, a type of salamander I think.

10. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Dang 20 bucks a dozen or even at 7, I could make a killing.......I was seining for crawfish and perch and I caught abou 500 of them in one sweep, last time I seined this pond........
    May have to look into selling some to the bait stores.......

11. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Before I fished Fayette Lake the first time I had heard of waterdogs, but had never seen one. Here's what they look like.

Attached Files:

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    most that you get will be the larval form of a salamander. best kind is those of a tiger slamander. the slamanders grow to 10". if you keep them cool, they will not turn into salamanders. if you use them, you can be sure you'll catch bass as well as cats.

13. rigrunner(236)

rigrunner(236) New Member

State:
    Ft Cobb Lake, Oklahoma
    Waterdogs are one of my favorite catfish baits. Too high to buy, but if I can find a place to sain them, I'll use them ever time I go catfishing. I catch more fish on waterdogs cut in half. A very good catfish bait.

14. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    I use them for bait, however, I fish for pike and bass with them until they're dead, then I use 'em for channels. I catch mine with nightcrawlers on a size 8 hook.