Water displacing ethanol filter

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by restorerancientiron, Nov 7, 2009.

1. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Well the wind is howling today so I decided to do a little task to help my boat.As most know it is getting harder to find fuel without ethanol.There are several good articles about what ethanol does to fuel so I want go into that.I will say that the ethanol is a moisture magnet and it is also a degreaser like alcohol by nature.It will clean your tank but the particles will be mixed in your gas and be ingested into your motor.A solution is to instal a spin on type water displacing fuel filter.The water will settle to the bottom.Make sure also when buying one to get the 10 micron filter to ensure it removes all but the smallest of particles.My etec states in the owners manual that it should come with one installed on the boat.Well it didn't but no big deal , they are simple to install.You need to replace at least twice a year or more depending on your usage every brand filter has reccomendations.These can range in price from $30.00 up and they make the housings from graphite to stainless steel.I have been told that stainless is the best but I wanted something more substanial that will take some abuse.A gas leak on a boat is never a good thing.The one I am installing is a Moeller universal marine water seperating fuel filter kit part number #33321-10.It is also compatabile with several Mercury,Yamaha , and Suzuki filters to give your rig a factory touch.It comes complete with the 3/8 barbs and will fit on either side of your compartment.It does not come with the clamps as I have found out....
    Anyway here are a few pics of before and after to give you an idea of how simple this is.It takes less than twenty minutes and could save you lots of problems down the road.Also be sure and give your tank a shot of stabil marine formula for ethanol.More cheap insurance that could save big bucks.As stated the clamps were not included so sorry about the unprofessional look.They will be installed before starting up.As stated the wind was howling at 20 plus so I decided to do thid instead of fighting whitecaps today.I hope the pics explain everything .if not post or p.m. with any questions.

Attached Files:

2. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Also , a replacement filter can be picked up at any auto part store.My local napa has replacement filters.

Attached Files:

3. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Also it is a good idea to write the date and/or the hours of the filter replacement.I know I need all the help I can get.Also I included a pic of the label to help anyone interested in finding this.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  4. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    nice work on the install

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dennis thanks for sharing your days project with us. Good idea. Could save a lot of future headaches.

6. larry again

larry again Active Member

State:
    missouri
    great job on install water filter,I have had one on my boat for 7 years .I replace filter in sping and the fall no problems yet.I use stabil and or seafoam in my fuel all the time,hope you have good luck with yours.

7. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Yeah I am a slow learner.I have replaced them for years on my tractor but never thought of it until I read my erude owners manual.The dealer should have installed this.Oh well hopefully I have started in time , no problems to date.I have always used the sea foam and the stabil since new.

8. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

Yeah, when i bought my boat motor 2 years ago the store suggested using a water separating filter on 4 strokes.....go back to that store this past spring for some oil and now they suggest them for ALL boat motors. Amazing what a little ethanol will change.

A related question here: Has anybody had any troubles with those water separating filters in the winter (below freezing)? If it separates the water out, wont that water freeze and cause problems?

9. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    You're supposed to change the filter. If you don't, it's kinda pointless, eh?

10. larry again

larry again Active Member

State:
    missouri
    It cost me four hundred dollars before I learned ,it was costly mistake on my part. I have convinced all my friends to put them on their boats! boat dealers should put them on all boats before they sell you a boat!

11. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    When you change the fuel filter, do you have to turn off the fuel before removing the filter? Or, is there something that shutoffs as you remove the filter and replace? Thus, you just unscrew the old filter, and screw in the new filter and finished!

I just bought a new bought, and a fuel filter is installed. As I was looking at it, there is no shutoff valve. So, I am guessing you just need to unscrew, and then screw on a new filter and you're finished, right?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  12. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    The type/brand of filter that I use & strongly recommend is Raccor. It has a clear bowl on the bottom, so you can see any water or other contaminates WITH a drain valve too !!!

13. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I agree, but unless you are changing the filter after every use, there will probably be water in that filter (how much depends on a lot of factors, i would assume), and water freezes. That was my question, what happens when that water freezes? Does it cause a fuel obstruction? Do I have to worry about the filter freezing and cracking? Does the fuel/alcohol flowing thru it keep it from freezing?

14. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I was worried when I sliced through the fuel line myself.I didn't know if the fuel would keep siphoning out.I did look and see how others were mounted.They were all mounted above the fuel tank.This prevents the gas from flowing out when changing the filter.As you unscrew the old filter this breaks the seal and stops the flow of gas.After you replace the filter you need to pump or "primer" the bulb to get the gas line full again.By it being mounted above the fuel tank I would think that it would help the trash settle to the bottom of the filter as well.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  15. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Yes I have seen these types as well and I do believe them to be best.I do like the glass sediment bowl on the bottom.The only disadvantage is you can see the tight quarters I had to deal with.I was afraid of the graphite composite ones as well as the glass sediment bowl models being struck by a battery and causing a fuel leak in the event of spiking a wave or unintentional grounding.I do have battery straps mounted but I had rather be overly cautious when it comes to a gas leak on a boat.If I had lots of room and no batterys close I would have went with the glass bottom type with a drain.I just know from the ones mounted on my tractors that there is potential there for a leak if the cork seals ever get dry.

16. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Good question I would think even with it full of water the rubber fuel lines would expand enough to prevent it from rupturing during a freeze.I did however first thing before I mounted it took it to my local napa dealer.I bought a replacement filter to keep on my boat at all times.The napa part number is 3225.I would like to see posts from nothern members if they have ever had a problem with freezing.

17. If you use a filter with a drain, you can drain the water out. You are not going to accumulate ounces of water in a few trips, if you do, something is definately wrong. My fuel seprater never froze on me. I used steel ones and drained the water out of them once a month, and I run my boat year round up here in PA.