Water Depth???

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by tangell88, Nov 4, 2009.

1. tangell88

tangell88 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Went fishing with Josh(JBird01) this past weekend and found a hole almost 80 feet deep. didnt catch anything out of it but had a good hit. This is the deepest we have seen so far but havent had a boat for too long. It got me to thinkin how deep do u guys catch fish during the winter? also attached is 2 of the fish we caught this weekend.

Attached Files:

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think them big blues like that deep water..I like fishing 35 foot + for those guys..There was a guy who broke his PB I think it was a 60 lb + blue and caught him in 95 feet of water..There in there that deep for sure..I found the thread..Check out the 1st post http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124219

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009

3. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    Thanks for sharing with us, sounds like you might be onto something.:006:

4. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
  5. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    Thanks Les for digging that up for us and sharing it.:wink:

6. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Nice fish. thanks for posting.

7. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    No problem..I've been preaching on here for a long time that those big boys are really deep..When I lived back in Louisiana it was not uncommon for us to fish in water that was 100' in the Mississippi river..That river has some deep holes..Too many people think that cats won't go that deep but I guarantee you they do.I think thats a big reason why people can't catch the big ones cause they avoid the really deep holes..The deep water has less quantity but has more quality big fish..

8. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    thanks for posting Les. I was in about 55 feet today with a couple of good hits and one on that got off before I could get him up. There are not to many deep holes around here that I know of. It is a very shallow lake over all and I grew up fishing a lake north of here that hits well over 100 feet in many places.

9. festus

festus New Member

Norris Lake and Dale Hollow Lake have some deep holes, has anyone tried those yet for big catfish?

10. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My largest blue was in 34ft, there was some water nearby that was 70ft. The next in 48ft with some 75ft nearby. The next was in 43ft with some 60ft nearby. The next was in 70ft and was the deepest in that area. The next was in some 40ft with 60ft nearby. The next was in 75ft and was the deepest in that area. The next two were in 75ft and was the deepest hole around. The next was in 55ft with some 75ft nearby. The next was in 50ft with some 75 nearby. From my experience the fish are not always in the deepest holes. With all that being said I usually only fish 30-100ft of water and will be trying some shallow water soon. The bottom shape and composition seem to make more of a difference than does the depth. Just my opinion. I have also caught a few 20-30lb blues in shallow water less than 20ft deep. Just never know where you're going to find them. All I can say is if you fish three different holes that are the deepest around and don't get bit then you probably won't get bit in the fourth deepest hole. Try another depth and keep trying until you find some fish. A good sonar will save alot of time looking and trying unproductive spots. Some of the fish I've refered to were caught in river run reservoirs and others in free flowing rivers.

11. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    I'm learning about this too, everytime I take the boat out I find myself working the edges and not the depth, Thanks for the informative post and reply's

12. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    One thing to try is to anchor up river of the holes and cast into them. If you don't get a hit in a few minutes reel in your bait a little bringing it up the side of the hole a little. This will allow you to target different depths until you find the fish. I have had luck doing this before.

13. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I fish where there is good lookin structure. Some of my holes are in 15foot and some around 50. When I find good structure I will also throw a rod or two deep and a rod or two shallow and then two right on the structure. But over all average depth that I fish is 30 to 55 foot.