Water depth for those late summer catfish

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catchaser1, Aug 27, 2006.

1. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    What water depth and structure is most productive for those late summer blues and flatheads?

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    They'll be down as deep as the thermocline is, if the thermocline is 40 foot deep then I wouldnt fish any deeper than that.One thing that helps me is to find what depth the thermocline is and then find water thats the same depth so the catfish can still be on the bottom but in the thermocline too.

3. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Seems to me like they are starting to move up the river banks. Try Places like laurence Bridge and holders, or the Tugaloo arm.

4. klemsontigers7

klemsontigers7 New Member

State:
    SC
    hey chris, nice picture you got there, i can't tell if it's blues or flatheads though, also how big are they and it looks like you caught them in the daytime?

5. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    They where both a little over 27lbs they where blues.The one on the right had the head of a 35 to 40lb fish but he was really thin the other one was pretty normal.Theres a better picture in Monticello Anyone thread.Yeah they where caught in the middle of the day.

6. question for all more experienced catters, just how do you find the thermocline? All explanations are welcome

7. Bobwheelr

Bobwheelr New Member

State:
    NC
    [SIZE=+1]Thermocline [/SIZE]a transition layer between deep and surface water
    [​IMG]The thermocline is the transition layer between the mixed layer at the surface and the deep water layer. The definitions of these layers are based on temperature.
    The mixed layer is near the surface where the temperature is roughly that of surface water. In the thermocline, the temperature decreases rapidly from the mixed layer temperature to the much colder deep water temperature. The mixed layer and the deep water layer are relatively uniform in temperature, while the thermocline represents the transition zone between the two.

8. Bobwheelr

Bobwheelr New Member

State:
    NC
    setember can produce big blues in 20-40 ft of water during daytime, but i switch to around 10-14 ft when fishing at night, watch your bait fish and drift with them. mid to late setember can get you a big flathead in the cannels deep water next to the banks anchor and wait for the fish to come through.

good luck