Water at Alton

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by mississippi man, Mar 20, 2007.

1. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    The water at Alton is Kinda strange right now. Above the dam the water is the lowest I have ever seen it. At the Alton Marina both docks are totally out of the water the sand (MUD) bar is exposed and most of the bridge pylons are out of the water. Upstream at Piasa Creek both of the docks are sitting on land and lots of dead fish. You could probably launch with a four wheel drive, but your rig is probably gonna be covered in mud. If you ever wondered what strange water looked like it is worth a look.

2. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Maybe now would be a good time to go to Piasa Creek and look for my Transom saver that fell off the boat while unloading it..hehehe

3. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    Harold I don't think I would go into the water down there but I heard transom savers are on sale this time of the year at b@$$ pro shops

4. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    If it warms up some today like it's supposed to I'm going to see if the skippies are running yet... Probably try this afternoon.. I'll let everybody know the results..

5. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    The gates are open all the way at the dam.. No skippies yet.. Water above the dam is real low..Below the dam it way up..

6. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    Went out today and did not do any good, I fished at piasa creek in various places and fished below the dam for skips with no luck. Fished for cats yesterday and caught my biggest channel yet. Was fishing the warm water discharge at the power plant across from Piasa creek. It was funny I had an ambassadeur 6000 I use for lake fishing, casted out about 6 feet from the boat. I was getting a lot of little pecks. I pulled it in and had a piece of skipjack the size of a quarter left on so I just tossed it back out. Well I was baiting my other poles and fixing them up, all of them much bigger than the one with the ambassadeur. I looked up and my pole was bent over and the fight was on. I pulled up a 10+ pound channel cat. I decided to try to get my boat in about a month ago and got stuck in the mud on the boat ramp at Piasa, luckily I had a tow strap and a generous fisherman pulled me out.

7. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    man you aint lyin about it bein low. I was on the mo side of it about 3 days ago and the sandbars are still exposed.its been low all spring even with the rain.

8. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    It's kinda funny, it's 1.2' above flood at Grafton.:roll_eyes:

9. Bluerider

Bluerider New Member

State:
    Bethalto, IL
    If the gates at the dam stay open much longer the skippies are gonna migrate right through them:crazy: .

I can't believe how high the water is right now.