Water at Alton Dam and Chain of Rocks??

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Seth, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Has the water dropped any in these areas? I went down there last during the cold spell and the water was way up and and moving super fast.

Also, anybody have a snagging report for there? I am thinking about heading down that way this Sunday for the weekend.

2. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    The water was way up.. It has dropped about 3 ft there this week.. Thats at the chain of rocks.. Looks like the water is still moving fast.. Hopefully they'll close the locks some for the weekend..

3. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Did you see or hear anybody catching any spoonbill or bigheads?

4. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    They have been snagging a ton of bigheads at Alton dam. Have not seen many spoonbills caught. I have not been to chain of rocks for a week or so. The locks at the dam have been closed most of the week. The water is coming down a bit. I will be glad when the chain of rocks comes down enough to fish.

5. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    That's good to hear. I'm gonna go catch some bigheads then on Sunday. :lol:

Can you snag til May 15th on the Mississippi for non game fish? I know spoonbill closes the end of April.

6. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    The gates have been just skimming the surface all week, more or less open river still. I heard that the Corps is expecting to raise them up again this weekend or Monday, so it's not settling down yet.