Water additive

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by duckgetr, May 15, 2007.

1. duckgetr

duckgetr New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Do you guys use water additives to keep your shad alive. I've got a new cabellas 30 gallon tank with the stainless aerator on top. Its dark colored on the inside and oval shaped. is that enough to keep shad alive, or do I need to add stuff to help them with their slime coat and all that. OR even add more oxygen to the tank. what do you guys do to make them last longer than normal?

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Jim,
    Short term, an aerated tank of any shape will keep shad alive. Make it round or oval and they will last a bit longer. Add some "Shad Saver" and they will last longer yet. The key to keeping them healthy in my opinion is filtration. The Shad Saver will help them from shedding scales but a good filter system will remove scales that are shed. The scales will cut their gills and they will die. The tank I have has excellent filtration and will keep shad alive and lively. I regularly am able to let my left over shad go at the end of a trip. They are as good as when they were netted...W

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    I use a 30 gal with a filter. No iodine salt is all I add but a de-foamer would be nice!!

Go to the "Libary" and look under Shad for tons of info.

:wink:

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I think you're going to be disappointed in your investment.

As mentioned, it's not aeration that you need, it's filtration. And I don't think the tank you bought filters the water at all. That tank is really intended for holding minnows, shiners, goldfish, etc. -- shad are a totally different problem and not suited to that kind of tank.

You might make some progress by adding a dechlorinator to the water, followed by about 2 cups of PLAIN salt (not rock salt, not iodized salt). Change at least 50% of the water twice a day, add more decholorinator and salt and keep it cool (use quart or gallon jugs with frozen water in them). But you'll still be lucky to keep shad alive more than 24 hours in that tank, especially once the water warms up to the 80's...

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Stock salt is really all you need until it gets hot out. Then it will help to add some of the shad saver products. Keeping the water clean and cool as Marty said is the most important thing and not putting more bait in then your tank can handle. If your tank doesnt have a filtration system you will need to add one if you plan to keep shad alive for extended periods.

6. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Hey guys. What type of tanks do you use for holding minows and where do you get them? You'll probably laugh, but right now I just started using a 10 gal aquarium to hold toughies, but I was thinking about trying to keep shad too. Sounds like it'd be a waste of time though. So 30 gal wouldn't cut it either. What will? I can usually go out and net dozens of shad at a time, but I'd like to keep some alive at home if I can in case I have no luck netting one day.

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Jon,
    A 10 gallon tank is plenty big enough for minnows and 30 gallons is plenty big enough for shad. Round or oval tanks are best for shad as the bait doesn't get stuck in corners. I would suggest that you don't bother trying to keep shad alive at home; just freeze them. If you have room on the boat for the tank you can keep the fresh ones you catch alive for the day. If there isn't room for the tank just put the fresh ones on ice.
    I always take a bag of frozen bait with me for those odd times when fresh just can't be found. Sometimes the frozen doesn't work as well as the fresh but most times it doesn't make much difference...W

8. brakeless1

brakeless1 New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ky.
    One of those in tank 12 volt power head type aererator's with foam filter around intake might help. I use one in a cooler to keep bluegill nice and lively.

9. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Non dairy coffee creamer keeps the foam from forming, stock salt for the slime coat, a filtration system that can be cleaned or changed regularly, aeration, something to cool the water in hot weather, and water changes are what it takes to keep shad alive.
    I use a simple homemade filter and aeration system in a 25 gal oblong tank. Tank is insulated and covered with white aluminum flashing. Last time I used it the temps were in the low 80's, kept about 4 dozen yellowtail shad (4 to 5 inchs long) for 2 days ( no ice ). lost less than a half dozen in the two days and released about that many at the end of the second day.
    Check the library for info on how and what I used for aeration and filter, it will surprise you at how simple it is.

Note: Water changes every 2 to 3 hrs when fishing, none for the 18 hrs or so between two afternoons of fishing.