Watching river data

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by onlyriverfish, Sep 2, 2006.

1. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    I like most will fish anytime I can even when its assumed to a bad time and some (wife mostly) say its too much! Thats a matter of opinion-If I had my way Id live on river and fish every day.

When you go fishing on the river (missouri) are you looking at the current/past river data for flow rates & water levels and If so are you adjusting your stratagies? Noticed any corrolation?

I personally-historically check USGS after a stretch of fishing pretty consistantly to see if I can draw a corrolation to my success/failure.

Of course that assumes several things:
    1.) That I am thoroughly covering areas each time out (channel,ledges,holes,runs). Several miles up/down.
    2.) Other factors such as weather patterns,time of season are not playing a bigger part in the equations.

Best time this year for me was july and that was a higher flow rate time then last 45 days of so,so fishing. We had an unusual long stretch of HPressure - stable weather.

2. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Looking at this again and thought I'd clarify. I was thinking "flow rate" which is the amount of water cubic feet per sec was higher in july. The actual water table stayed constant around 16ft. Im guessing they raised it as dam needed more electricity output for electricity as it was hot month.

Wondering if there is a corrolation of this rate increase (100miles downstream where i am at)- if that is what made the blues feed more(?).

Maybe it effected the baitfish behavior in stead which triggered the blues to feed more aggressivly?

Maybe it had little effect and other factors contributed.
    What I do know is that my same presentations after the flow decreased had dismal results.