Watching it rain and fishing...

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Burwell40, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Went fishing with my brother-in-law last night over to Coralville. We watched the storm clouds brewing as we drove to the ramp but decided to go anyway and just stay close to the ramp. All we got was a few sprinkles up by the bridges while we watched it pound down rain to the west and the south. Fish were biting too. The shad hatchlings are about 2 1/2 inches long and if you put about 5 on a hook, the catfish like them. They were biting well as we caught 9 nice fish between 6:30 and 8:30, 4 of them over 5 lbs with a big of 8 lbs. We got the boat loaded up and were on the road home when it cut loose and rained hard. Pretty good timing all and all.

Mike.

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Heh, Timing the weather like that almost as good as getting fish on the bank :smile2:
    I've fished in some pretty miserable conditions with varied success... Sounds like you had a great nite...

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Congrats on the catches, I dont mind fishing in rain, but I dont play with lightning.

4. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    Good thinking I've been caught in rain more then once

5. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    As an avid motorcyclist I have learned a lot about the weather.
    I've learned that you can't escape it... and some days are worse then others. But, if you stay inside and listen to all the weather reports you will tend to miss out on more GOOD days of riding then bad.

It would appear that the same it true with fishing. If in doubt.. go!
    _

6. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yeah, rain doesn't bother me much. But lightning makes me nervous as a cat.
    In my experience, I've come into some pretty darn good fishing on rainy days and nights.

The fishing on Coralville has been pretty darn good this month. Channels are back to normal post-spawn and, wow, do they have a lot of fight in this warm water. That 8 lber about wore me out getting him in.

7. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    You left at the right time, I was down below the dam Saturday night and about 9 oclock when the front pushing that rain went through the bite just turned off like a light switch .... right about the time we were getting serious

All we got we a few sprinkles but they were biting pretty good for a while .... cripes I even caught a 4 1/2 pound carp on a shad head of all things

It didn't help any they were cutting the flow way back, looks like we should have went up this weekend, although the heat would have made for miserable camping .... I'll give it another shot in a week or two, lots of good structure and the water is quite deep there so navigating at night is easy ... the '93 flood sure deepened that part of the river for over 2 miles from the damn, it was 10 foot deep or more most opf the time and 8 ft or more all the way to the highway bridge

Sure liked the way those natural rock outside bends looked, nice and deep with plenty of holes and crannies for fish to hide in waiting for a meal