Watched the Carolina Panthers yesterday

Discussion in 'NFL Talk' started by Mac-b, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    When my Skins moved out of Washington, DC, I gave up on football and watching any NFL on TV. Yesterday, I happen to watch the Carolina Panthers play one of my old favorites, the Green Bay Packers. I mean, I watched the whole game, no nap time for that one. I'm not a fan of the Carolina Panthers, even tho I live about 40 minutes from where they play, but it appears that they might have it together this year. What do y'all think of the Panthers?

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    They could build a Panther stadium in my front yard and give me lifetime VIP box seats with the Rockettes and Heffners bunnies and I would still be a skins fan.

But you know like I do that to an easterner Charlotte doesn't exist and to a westerner the eastern part of the state doesn't exist. There is a battle line drawn in this state and I think it goes through a place called Lexington.:wink:
    It had something to do with BBQ.

3. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Well Mac,

I think that they've looked really flat since the bye week. The Oakland and Detroit wins were both way too close for the caliber of opponent that they posed. Jake Delhomme's accuracy wasn't been very good (I wonder if he's having any problems out of that arm). I was hoping that the loss to Atlanta might wake them up. Yesterday they looked really good in the first half, but really got manhandled in the third quarter.

I'm a little concerned about how the secondary has been getting picked on in the past two games. Especially when you consider that the Panthers will be facing Garcia, Brees, Cutler, and Eli Manning (Matt Ryan and Aaron Rodgers were good, but not quite as battle proven as these guys) in their final four games. Things are going to have to tighten up.

The running tandem with Jonathan Stewart and Deangelo Williams looks really good most of the time, but I'm not sure they can consistently beat an eight man front. It is then when they'll have to rely on Delhomme's arm to pick on someone who's in man coverage with either Mohammed (bad idea) or with Smith (really stupid idea, go ask Green Bay). That's what makes me nervous on the O side of things.

Special teams has improved, but they still gave up a touchdown against Atlanta. I hold my breath whenever the punting unit is on the field, and, considering that their 3rd down efficiency is in the toilet again this year, that's quite a bit a breath holding.

At the beginning of the season I said that the Panthers would finish with a 12-4 record. I still stand by that. I'm really hoping that they get hot right about now and carry that momentum into the post season.

Just two cents from one of millions of armchair quarterbacks

Jon

4. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I watched my second game of the year and you guessed it, it was the Panthers against the Denver Broncos. They are begining to look like they know what they are doing. Also got to watch the end of the Steeler game, wasn't bad at all.