Watched a kid do this last summer

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by hct236, Jan 14, 2010.

1. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    Last summer I was fishing a lake close to home, I noticed 2 kids prob. around 12 or 13 walking around the bank. They stopped about 100 yards from me and set their gear down. 1 of them had a frisbee, I watched as he poked holes in the frisbee with a screwdriver. Needless to say I was intrigued wondering what the heck he was doing. He then tied a string to the frisbee and turned it upside down. He had a tub of chicken livers he dumped the whole tub in a pair of pantie hose and tied a knot in the hose. He then put the pantie hose full of livers on the upside down frisbee and floated it out in the water using the string to keep if from floating too far. They then baited up some livers and tossed out near where the frisbee was floating and started catching cats in a few minutes. They caught way more than I did. Don't know if I will ever try this method or not, but kids can sure come up with ideas that an adult would never think of. By the way, eventually a cat or turtle did hit the frisbee turning it over and dumping out the livers.

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Gotta say, I have heard some interesting things over the years, but thats a new one for me. Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the site... rollo

3. Blind In Texas

Blind In Texas New Member

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
    Neat story and an interesting chumming method....

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Interesting idea. Thanks for sharing.

5. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    Sounds like a good way to chum. I have done that with half gallon milk jugs but it sank. Thanks for sharing the story. I might just try that this year.

6. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    Pretty cool idea.

7. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    It did get me to thinking, what about getting one of those Styrofoam wreaths you find in the craft section for artificial flowers, but instead of putting fake flowers on it, hot glue some screen on it and float it out with some kind of "drippy" chum on the screen?????

8. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Now that was a pretty neat idea. Those kids will go far in this world.

9. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Thats a good idea but it is illegal to "chum" a lake around here i dont know if i can do it in rivers or not..

10. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    id like to see some of us pull our heads together and come up with somthing similar but wouldnt lose it if it tipped over,any ideas?

11. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    Well I was thinking about using one of those Styrofoam wreaths from the craft section, and put screen on the top and bottom with the cum between the 2 pieces of screen so it wouldn't matter if it tipped over. Kinda like the thumbnail pic here.

Attached Files:

12. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Those kids have a great idea! I bet the styrofoam wreath should work well too.

I have a couple of extra noodles that I'm going to experiment with. Maybe run a line through the noodle and tie off a couple of nylon bags full of chum at each end. I'll tie an anchor line around the middle of the noodle so that I can have some control over its position.

I've done crazier things trying to catch fish.

13. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    some pretty good ideas right there might have to experiment thanks guys.

14. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    Thats a new one on me, but a very good idea. It's got my gray matter to firing.(Got me to thinking)

15. dahut

dahut New Member

State:
    sc
    Inventive idea. I had thought of adding some swim tube foam to a piece of PVC pipe poked full of holes as a floating chucm dispersal device. This frisbee idea is about as simple as it gets .

16. Gotbuck

Gotbuck New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    Find the person who taught them that and see what else they can offer. Great idea and thanks for sharing, I got plenty of them as the kids get them with their meals when we dine out from time to time.

17. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Frisbee fishing Hummmm !

Great Idea.

18. mopackrat

mopackrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    How about a floating fish basket? You know metal mesh ones. Or you could put a balloon in it.

19. cajunblaze

cajunblaze New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Just use two frisbies, a top and a bottom. The design of the fresbie should keep it flat in the water, top or bottom.