Watch your outboard!!!

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by JAYNC, Sep 29, 2005.

1. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I recently bought a new boat with a 75hp Mercury 4 stroke and have had a great time with it. Two days ago I decided to flush out the motor. According to the Mercury book that came with it, you just hook up your garden hose to the back of the engine and turn on the water, then start the engine. Well I did that and only saw water trickling out by the prop. I immediately turned off the engine and called the dealer. The dealer said that the book is wrong and that you have to use the ear muffs on the lower unit. I went and got a set of the ear muffs and put them on the lower unit, turned water on, then the engine. Still no water was coming out of the hole in the back of the engine. This morning I noticed that the hole was clogged with sand and debris. I called my friend and he was like, oh yeah I forgot to tell you that you should make sure that was free of debris and to get some weed eater string to punch out that tube. Well I proceeded to do that and had about a shot glass of sand come out of the engine. I am so glad that I decided to flush it out before this weekend. Otherwise my engine would have overheated and I would have been stuck out there, trolling back for god knows how long. I learned a very good lesson and wanted to pass this on. I am sure most people know to look for this but, I just assumed, New Motor, what could go wrong. Turns out I was wrong but I am glad I caught it in time.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jay, did you try the water hose again where the factory hook-up is? I know most motors these days have a hose attachment. The hole that was plugged is a tell-tale indicator to let you know the water pump is working. That should be the first thing we look at when we start an engine. I fish in salt water around sand bars and such, and it is not uncommon for the tell-tale to plug during a trip; if it was pumping when I left the landing, I don't get too concerned if it plugs while fishing, because it probably won't affect the cooling water flow through the engine block, where the water passages are large enough to pass grains of sand. However there is a great comfort level in seeing the water coming out the side of the engine, so I stop and clean the tell-tale as soon as practical.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Jaync, good info, I do not have a 4 stroke but I am sure a 2 stroke can get sand and dirt in the water intake ports also. :confused:

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here in the south, you have to watch out for those dirt dobbers building in the squirt hole. If you forget to check before you get out on the water, you can use anything small enough to fit inside the hole and stiff enough to punch out the hardened mud. I've even straightened out a hook to clean out the hole.

5. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I did try flushing it afterwards and everything went fine, I ended up using a straightened out paperclip to get the dirt out of the hole. Everything works fine now. :)

6. quadman

quadman New Member

State:
    Danville, Virginia
    The garden hose attachment is for non-running flushes only and I think that should be re-iterated. If you want to flush the motor while it is running you MUST use the muffs.

7. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    According to my owner's manual (OMC), the flushing port, where the water hose attaches, can be used when the motor is running as long as the motor is in the vertical position.

8. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    All I know is the book says to hook up the garden hose to the port in the back of the engine and turn on the water, then start the engine. It says nothing about the muffs what so ever. If my engine is ruined they will be fixing it or giving me a new one. It still runs great but if muffs are sopposed to be used they new to put a change in the manual.