Watch your car!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by centexcop, Dec 1, 2008.

1. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    With Holiday shopping coming up, I'd like to remind everyone to use good practices while parked at the mall or shopping centers... or even the boat ramp. In Texas, more than half of the vehicles stolen were unlocked and had the keys in them!

Never leave your purse, wallet or keys in your unattended vehicle.
    • In Texas, it's against the law to leave your keys in your vehicle while it’s running and unattended.
    • Always hide your belongings from sight, including CDs, briefcases, address books, mobile electronics, toys, shopping bags and clothes.
    • Do not keep in your car your vehicle registration receipt, insurance certificate, mail or other items that have your name, address and personal information on them (Keep it in your wallet or purse). Auto burglars can use this information to burglarize your home.
    • Avoid leaving the garage door opener visible in your car. It may be used by the burglar to gain entry to your home.
    • Always close the windows and lock your vehicle, even if leaving it unattended for a quick trip into the convenience store.

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    According to anyone I live in a P.O. Box. Any piece of mail I get has a P.O. Box on it. :wink:

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Only one thing to add.
    Don't leave your fishing tackle in the back of the truck while you run in to buy a 12 pack thinking it will still be there when you get back.

Folks, secure what you want to keep.
    I'm adamant about this.

Quick buck for a crackhead.

4. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    Exactly. I left a large ice chest in the back of my truck one night when I went to work a part time job. With the ice and cans, it was heavy enough that it would have taken two people to remove it. I not only lost that big ice chest, but several cases of coors light leftover from a Christmas gathering.... If it's not nailed down or doesn't have an armed guard posted, better leave it locked in the garage.

5. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    I guess you're safe Ozzy...Unless they take the whole car.... Crooks are lazy... They're not going to take the time to get your physical address from the PO Box.

6. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    also policeman are on the look out for puffers as well.

I leave mine running but lock and unlock it using my keypad.

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Well if they try to break in my place and my neighbor is home "Surprise" he's a Cop. :big_smile:

8. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    If they mess around in this neighborhood,,,

My neighbor across the street will nail horshoes on their feet,,,, My other neighbor will play the bagpipes, and make them dance..

Then someone will fire up a barbQ,, and we'll cook them up nice and tender and feed them to the dogs!!!!:tounge_out:

9. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    That sounds like a good old party for them there dogs and fresh meat for them too

10. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I don't think I would even feed that trash to my dogs. Dirtbags stole my sons camaro 2 weeks ago and stripped it to an empty shell in 1 day. :angry:

11. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    If there is one thing I hate, it's a thief.

They should hope that if they ever get caught, It's not by me. :angry:

12. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    A good car thief can strip a car pretty quick. Some of them can completely strip it in under an hour. And those parts are worth more separately than the car is whole. Several years ago I worked a sting operation where I was buying stolen vehicles from crooks. The most I paid for a vehicle was $650.00 and that was a brand new suburban.

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Joey thanks for posting some good advice. Another thing I might add is to pay attention to who and what is going on around you at the time you park, get out of car, shop, checkout, and get back into your car.

14. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    Good point Mickey... It's always a good idea to pay attention to your surroundings.

15. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Can't do that...mine is built in. I always cancel the code if leaving the vehicle in extended airport parking. Also cancel the code if we're traveling.

While staying in hotels we make sure to remove the insurance and vehicle registration papers from the vehicle.

Several years ago a friends vehicle was stolen in Dallas. He had to rent a car to drive the 300 miles home. Got home, found the car thief had stolen several items from his home. The thief got into the garage with the opener that was in the vehicle, then broke into the house. Used the insurance card for the address.

16. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    Unfortunately things like this happen more than people know... or want to know!