Watch where you Fish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Boomer, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I had an incident on the Missouri river once, I would like to warn you about.

I was fishing down stream from a trotline on the bank. I dont eat the fish from the Missouri at this location due to contaminates, but apparently this older fellow did, and while I was there he had come down, mainly I think to see if I was taking fish off his line. We sat and chatted for a little while, he checked his bait, and I asked him how often he ran it, since it had a lot of activity in the area and he told me during the day about every 4 hours. We talked about how he had done, ect. I explained to him that I was just fishing for the fun of it, I had plenty of fish in the freezer and had a couple of hours to kill. He left.

Here is where the problem started. I caught 2 blues, one weighing about 20 lbs and a smaller one. I decided the older fellow was pretty hard up, and needed the fish, so I found some wire, that would hold the fish (since I didnt want to sacrifice one of my stringers) and put them on it.

I saw this boat coming down the river, but paid no attention to it. I pull the old fellows trot line in about 4 feet (on a sand bar) and make me a loop and attach my 2 fish to it. I turned around and walk back to my gear. This boat pulled in at the line. The were apparently Wildlife officials of some sort. They asked me if that was my trotline, and I told them no, it was the older fellows and he looked like he could use the fish, and I was putting my fish on there, for him. It was not tagged, so they were trying to accuse me of running a illegal line. I finally cleared it up, when I asked them, trotlines are made to take fish off, not put them on. If it were mine, I would be taking those blues up to the truck. Finally they let me go and told me if I saw the older fellow to tell him to tag his line. I told them I would.

I am pretty sure they could have given me a couple of tickets, not sure for what though.

While you are out there, be aware of your surrondings, and doing someone a good deed, is not always the best thing.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    yes, that sounds like it had the potential to get messy.

3. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Your heart was in the right place sir and I salute you for it and you are most certainly right you have to be aware of your surroundings at all times. If those guys were wild life enforcement officers of any kind you would think they would have hung around and waited for the old man to return. Please dont let this discourage you from lending someone a helping hand in the future. In my opinion if more people would similar things for each other the world would be a better place.

4. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I give away alot of fish to people who want fish to eat. I catch more than my fair share, and dont mind sharing with the less fortunate fishermen.

However I feel that I had set myself up for that one. I should have asked the old fellow where he lived, he had to live close, because he was on foot and offer to bring him the fish I had caught.

But I think at the same time, they were watching that line, and saw me down there near it, and then tying on the fish thought it was mine.

I respect the law and wildlife enforcement officers and I appreciate what they do, and they had every right to write me tickets, I am just glad they saw I was serious about it not being my line. Lesson learned, just thought I would pass on the knowledge, because I have been on rivers where it seems like every 30 feet you see a line.

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Just because someone looks and maybe acts in need don't mean they really are. I was thinking to my self reading that he checks it about every 4 hours. How many fish do you think he could pull out of one spot in a week? It's probably a pretty decent spot to boot.

6. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    Yea, he should have tagged it. It is the law. A lot of people dont tag theirs tho, even tho they suppose to.

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    In Nevada they have a law that you cannot share fish. You cannot give them away while on the water. I was told by a NDOW officer that if you have 4 fishermen and one catches all the fish and gives them away to his buddys you are over your limit because you didnt release them.

8. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Interesting. In my state it is if you have them in your posession then it counts against your limit. I guess each state is different.

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    thers no limit in mine. so one could in theroy catch and give away a hundred a day. i would like to see some restrictions. but not 6 a day or something. more like 10-15. there pretty abundant here. channels that is. blues are not native in my inned area. a few lakes have stocked them.

10. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have fished in a lot of different states, every state has different laws. It is kind of a pain in the behind to have to read up on the regulations for each state. I am wondering wouldnt it be better if we had like possession law, snagging, and the general stuff, like what constitutes trotlines, ect that are standard across the board? Then all you would have to worry about is the local laws for each lake, body of water ect that you fish.

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If every state had the same regs as Mo., I could handle it. Unfortunately, we would have to compromise with states like Ca., that have way too restrictive of regs for me to cope with.

I even like it that some areas in my own state have more restrictive regs than the statewide regs. Makes for some good trophy waters, whereas, I wouldn't want the entire state to be regulated in that fashion.