Watch that light!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Jul 21, 2007.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Flatheads don't like light! Thats why majority bite is at night not during the day. Now, u all know that...!!:big_smile: But, how many of you have tried to steer fish from cover using a light? I have been using this technique for years and i honestly believe it works. What i do,.. when i have a flat on that i think is respectable .I try to keep that fish from going where he wants to ....Esp. in exposed timber or structure i know that is there. You would be suprised by simply holding a light, that penetrates the water, holding it on the structure, how many times you can get that fish to change direction for you and discourage him to take the path he may want....if you have a fishing buddy, tell him about this. Maybe, he can save you a fish or two...lol..rollo

2. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks ill have to try that one. I know if you shine the light on them when they get to the dock, they go crazy:crazy::eek:oooh::tounge_out:

3. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    thats a good idea right there. i have laid into some nice cats at night but went into timber and beat me. now i know a cure thanks

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i prefer a hat headlamp that is small and has not only a bright led white light, but also like the one with the red. nice for tying up, and to check rods every now and then, without blasting a bright light on the water surface, esp. in shallow water. i also have a search light that i use for running at night, and does a terrific job when shining on structure, i think it is like 10 million candle power..so i only use it sparingly. and you may as well move if you do need it for that lol...good fishing and goodluck to you bros...rollo:big_smile:

5. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    Neat idea,...rollo. I may have to mount a light on my outboard for when I forget to pull it up:wink:

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Pretty interesting, thanks for sharing.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i hate bringing up my own threads . i would rather bring up some ones elses... but, i want everyone to see this... laugh if want..if you have never tried this... but almost everytime as of current this process is working for me... use a light that can penetrate the water and try to have your buddy try to help you when fighting that big boy!!! i see a consistant pattern when using this method...please try it bros, and sis..rollo

8. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well quick question rollo, What if say a person is using a slip float with a light stick on it, Do you think this light would be powerful enough to cut the water and bother the fish and discourage the fish from biting?

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i don't think that glowsticks penetrate the water enough to bother them. i was at first scared to try glowsticks for that reason, then i almost lost a pole at a local lake on night. we have caught 12 flats this yr. on floats now with glowsticks, 3 over 40lb.s. so i can't answer you for sure, but i would say it hasn't been a problem yet. it seems to me, the light has to be powerful enough to penetrate to the fish, usually don't seem to work until they get shallow enough to see the light. rolllo

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    im also still trying to figure out if there is a difference in lights that they react to...like i said i have a powerful seachlight that works well, white light, im sure has alot to do with it, but im wondering how much in other colors bother them?

11. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i know the red light won't bother the fish unless there not color blind, I learned that from coon hunting. But white I'm sure bothers them, Then what about lantern fishing from the bank say you have a bright lantern for some reason. I mean fishing the shallows for big flats heavy cover i find that the lantern im using lights up the cover too. If fishing from a boat i found that if you have a nice mono line, and a black light fish won't pick that up.

12. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    I'm bettin' they're sensitive to strong, white light. Perhaps it only bothers them @ night, when they've got thier "night vision " on. Kinda the way we're more sensitive to it @ night too. I caught a 40 lb flat this afternoon @ about 3 PM in blazing sun in about 3.5 ft of water. I'm not sure what to make of that:confused2: I've never caught one that big under those conditions:confused2::confused2:

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i catch flats as well when the water is on the rise or already high during the day sometimes... i dunno what to make of that...but, i know a flood light or searchlight between their eyes drives them nuts.

14. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    What do you think about the anchor light shining on the water at night? It seems to light up a pretty good area. I try to wrap paper or cardboard around the bulb to direct the light to the top portion of the lens, so it can still be readily seen but doesn't shine on the water so much.

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    to be quite honest with you..when im fishing unless i hear another boat motoring towards me i don't leave any lights on. i know im bending the rules slightly and will probably be willing to pay a fine for it sooner or later..:roll_eyes:

16. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    I agree with rollo. When we're out, especially some place where it gets dark and quiet @ night, we go blackout. Sometimes I'll throw a few glow sticks around in the boat but never any lights in or on the water. I don't know if they will eventually assoc. light with being caught or not. If they've been caught and released enough, they may. You gotta stay awake, though, in case any other craft approach.

17. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Couple of pepsi's or maybe a mountain dew or will help you after throw a big old chew in lol that should help lol

18. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the idea...I will have to give that a try.

19. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i would like to add that i do navigate with all my lights on...didn't mean to give the wrong impression when thinking about safety.. also... the glowsticks so far don't seem to be a problem.. catching some on them, still trying to determine the difference in ratio between using them and not.. keeping an up to date graph on stuff like that.. maybe by this time next yr. i can give some better statistics...rollo

20. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i had a guy ask me the other day. if flatheads are so nocturnal, mainly feeding after dark..why are they caught during the day? i dunno the answer totally to that, other than early and late in the yr. during cool water periods we catch them during the day. sometimes all day. i can only go to think it has to do with the area, water temps. affecting their metabolism, and i think the sun not being as powerful then also. i have caught many flats during the day in summer..usually always only in high water though. But,spring or fall seems like you can set up on them pretty regular. i will start my daytime hunt here before long....so i guess what im saying, as the sun weakens the bite starts increasen!!! just a thought for you that want to pursue them when most have gave up! it can be productive..and you can still be home early on the work nights! lol..rollo