Watch out for the Brand new wing dykes

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by RIVER-RAT, Sep 17, 2007.

1. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I launched the boat Saturday evening near the Arch grounds and traveled up river to a few of my favorite spots near the Chain of Rocks and the barge canal. As I was approaching, it didn't take long to see that they, meaning somebody but I don't know who, have been very busy building ALOT of new wing dykes there in the area. I sure am glad it was still daylight out when I headed that way cause they were placed right in the middle of the path I take to get there! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

There were alot of barges loaded with rock and cranes and it appeared that they were building a "lane" into the canal. Are changes like this posted for the average fisherman to locate? Like I said, I'm sure thankful I was traveling the river in the daylight because I had NO idea they were putting new dykes there in the area.

So if you fish that area and haven't been there in awhile, take it slow especially at night, from what I could see they were still building more in the area.

2. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    yap crashed the boat into one last monday evening at waverly. it was under water about a foot still. I was stuck for a half or so. the insurance estemate was almost two grand.

3. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    OUCH!!! That's why I'm glad I went in the daylight, I just got my boat back from the repair shop!

4. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Well that's nice to know. There's got to be a better way to learn about them than "feeling for'em". Thanks for the heads up.

5. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Anytime we would dig a hole of any kind of any type on a construction job that was gonna be left open, we had to put up caution tape to protect the public from possible harm. I guess the Corps of Engineers dont fall under the same rules we had. I dont know how they would mark the dykes but if there is danger of a boat striking one that is not visible they should find a way to protect the public.

6. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    oh it was daylight I just didnt see it. it was running down river and I was going around it, trying to get behind it.

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    There's a brand spankin' new one about 8 miles or so down river from Lexington as well. Bunch of new rip-rap on a lot of the banks. Gotta keep the channel on the ol' MO river clear for the 6 or 8 barges a summer that use it...:embarassed:

8. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    RIVER-RAT is your boat aluminum. If so where did you have it repaired. the place my insurance agent pointed me to was gonna use a marine grade bondo to fix it. I said not no but hell no. I will just have someone tig it up and paint it myself before I have bondo put on it. that crap wouldnt last a week the way I fish

9. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT

Your right Bob, No warning what so ever! I had no idea that they were doing that.

It's not like there was even one! There were several new ones in the area, not to mention the ones that were still "under" construction with only a few rocks poking up through the water!

10. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Yeah, it's all aluminum...but I damaged my prop and prop shaft!

Your right, NO WAY IN HELL would I want BONDO on the bottom of my boat!

Who's your insurance company?

11. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    the old dikes that have been damaged and not repaired are the ones that scare me. I can see close to where they use to be on my hot maps card and gps. I noticed several boats at the cabelas waverly tournamentalmost hitting dikes that where 1/2 washed away and hard to see at 50mph and 15 boats side by side

I have progressive

12. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    There's really no excuse for hitting a dyke while running wide-open down the river - learn to read and respect the navigation markers and stay in the channel and you won't have any problems. Ignore them at your own peril... Doesn't surprise me that folks in the tournament had trouble; I'd venture to guess many of them have never been on a big river before the tournament, and even fewer had been on the Missouri River...

13. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    I was only going about 4mph when I hit the dike. after the flood some of the navigation markers where gone from waverly to miami.

14. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    WATCH THE BOUYS.

15. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    That's a different story - navigating slowly around a dike is risky and sometimes things happen... I didn't mean to imply that you were irresponsible; I was referring to the folks in the tournament that don't know anything about the river.

When the dikes are submerged, you have to be extra cautious (as you've found out) and have to either become very good at reading the subtle clues given out by the current flow, boils, etc. or give the dikes a wide berth. One of my biggest worries is getting pushed onto a dike from upstream and getting stuck there...

New dikes as they've been constructing in St. Louis are a different problem, but I'd still think that respecting the channel markers and buoys ought to keep you out of trouble. Get sloppy and bad things can still happen...

16. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    This is the main reason we didn't fish the Tunica tournament earlier this year. We have never been there and with the high flows covering the wing dykes it just wasn't worth the risk of tearing up a boat or worse.

17. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    I think some of the bouy's on the river where I fish actualy had moved or was totaly gone. when I was out last week the bouys had been moved and new ones where placed in some spots. I have noticed new dikes being built up and down the majority of the river. dont get any where near a tug pushing two barges loaded with rock them babies tear the river up

18. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Wayne, the MO is different than the Miss, the channel isn't bouyed off at regular intervals. Most of what we have are just the daymarks and the occasional bouy where the river is straight or where there's something just weird in the river. On the MO you're pretty much left to moving from daymark to daymark to stay in the channel with the bouys giving a little extra guidance and (in my opinion :big_smile:) being more of a hazard at night than they're worth for daytime navigation. Take it easy!

Branden

19. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Wow, you guys actually have dikes that are ABOVE water? Mostly where I fish they seem to be submerged year-round (or mostly submerged at the very least). Some lower than others, some hazardous, some not.

20. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Learn something new everyday