Watch out below

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by flathead_hunter, Aug 9, 2007.

1. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    just thought i'd let all you mo cats know we have been getting alot of rain up here in nebraska reports of up and to 8 inches in some places the river is up so just thought i'd let ya all know!:crazy:

2. ron h

ron h New Member

State:
    st peters mo
    thank's for the information

3. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Yeah sure. It finally started gettin down to where we could catch some fish and you guys get a bunch of rain. Keep YOUR water up there. We want to fish.

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Down in Cuz's neck of the woods, he loves to see rapidly rising river conditions. The Kitty's usually go on a ferocious bite for a couple of days. I'm heading out for an All nighter tonight. Hoping aint no otha boats around cuz I'm dying to hit my favorite hole. :big_smile:

5. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Down here, the river has been dropping. I have been limiting out on dinks until yesterday. I has dropped at least 2 or 3 feet since Friday and there was no change from tuesday to yesterday. Yesterday we didn't catch a thing. If your going out tonight you'll need to get 3 things. 1. A enclosed cab, 2. a generator, 3. a large window unit Air conditioner. Lol!!!:big_smile::big_smile:

6. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Yeah i know but that feeding frenzy is only good while it is raising and a little after the crest and then you have to wait till it straightens out again. I would rather see a stable level. Then you can catch fish all the time. Ahh once you get the pattern down.

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Very True Mr Bob. Very True. However, Cuz kind of likes that 2-3 days of ferociousness. :wink: Then I can go visit Kutter in his cave for a few days.:smile2:

8. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Cuz, When you go out at night do you move around like you do during the day or do you stay in one spot for a couple hours?

9. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Kutters cave. Sounds like an old country song. No, that was Millers cave. If you think about it a cave sounds like the place to be right now. 60 degrees in Meremac Caverns year round. HMMMM there is a small stream running through there.

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I do move around Dave, however not much. I will NOT move up current at all as it involves being on plane with a high power setting and I feel thats a little dangerous on my stretch of river. I will usually fish my way down river at night so all I need is idle thrust. I typically will fish my favorite holes until right at dark, then I will head to the flats and stay put for awhile. I've found the blues will move out of the holes and into the flats to feed on the bait schools that typically hang out on the flats also. I've also noticed the blues will tend to move a little shallower at night and feed on the sandbars that form below our wing dykes. I dont move a whole lot though. Gary and I fished all night last month and did ok. Caught 5 or 6 fish I think. Anyhow, we moved alot more than I normally do, all downstream of course, but that was because I had another person with me. If I'm on a really good flat that I know CAN produce some real nice fish, I will sit it for several hours. Your best flats will typically be in close proximity to your best holes. The only draw back to fishing the flats is it will be a constant battle with the Gars, but thats part of the game I reckon. Do make sure any flat you find though still has some current associated with it. I've found dead water just isnt much good with the Blues. The Missouri is much much different than the Mississippi River so you may have to do some trial and error till you find what works. You caught a real nice fish last month. Ask yourself a few questions about that one fish, and try and dupllicate it on another section of river. That probably helps me more than anything. 1. Why was that fish here? 2. What was that fish doing? 3. Is there bait here? Shallow, deep? Etc Etc. You get the picture. If you think about it in that sense, a river is merely a million "little lakes". Tight lines bud. Give me a shout if you have any questions. I'll post tomorrow if I get into any fish tonight and post the details.

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Hush!!!!!
    Your giving out my secret hole!

Alright, go ahead. Ya might as well, seeing as how I never fish it anymore anyway. 60 Degrees!!! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    How can you folks take that Arctic Weather?

12. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    4) you have the right size of bait or several selections to find what they are biting on. 5) Plenty of Gas to get home. And last but not left out. 6) Stay off your cell phone. Distractions will miss bites that could be fish.

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Told you guys to get on the river last night and fish a fast rise. :wink:

14. headbanginhillbilly

headbanginhillbilly New Member

State:
    holden,missouri
    WOW! I have alot to learn about river fishing.

15. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Tallking on my cell phone is the only way I ever get any bites -- if I've been sitting with no takers for an hour or two, I'll call somebody -- anybody -- and usually get a bite while I'm on the phone. Plus it's always great to drop the phone in mid-sentence to grab a rod that's bending over - keeps the person on the other end interested..:smile2:

16. unclebill85

unclebill85 New Member

State:
    Lee's Summit, Missouri

FUNNY how that works isn't it..!
    Never fails, call someone = get a bite
    OR rig another line = get a bite

BOTH seem to work for me :wink:

PS - It also works as an excuse as to why you missed the fish!!!

17. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    just thought i would be nice and bring this thread back for you mo cats.... we have been getting alot of rain up here and yesterday i was down at the river and it was bank full. the platte and some other small rivers that feed it up in central nebraska had 6 inches of rain lastnight so i just thought i would let you guys down river know:crazy: i wouldn't be a bit suprised to see the river out of her banks up here sometime today or tomarrow

18. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    The river's high down here, and supposed to get even higher...

19. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I know the farmers around here aren't going to be too happy. At Waverly the river is just under 17 ft. and with flood stage at 20 ft. it won't take much to put it out again.
    :angry:

20. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Sure hope you all keep it all on the Mo River.WE don't need anymore on the good ole Missp.