Watch out about gift cards!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jeremiad, Dec 6, 2007.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    We all know by now, I hope, that gift cards to your favorite store, such as Bass Pro Shops, have time limits. If you don't use your gift card within a certain amount of time, it start evaporating away.

Well, here is another reason to watch out...

I just received a special BPS "Free Shipping" promotion via E-mail. You might have also. If you did, notice the special exclusion statement. Gift card redemption amounts are deducted prior to determining whether or not you meet the $99 free shipping threshold.

In other words, you cannot redeem gift cards or certificates toward any purchase and receive promotional savings.

I have verified the above statement with BPS Customer Service, and am currently haggling this out with them. Since they are not disclosing this exclusionary information, neither on the cards themselves, nor the online gift card purchase page, I believe what they are doing is marginally legal at best.

Anyway, as you purchase those gift cards this year for Christmas, be advised about the attached strings hanging all over the place--it's not tinsel!

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    They get ya comein and goin. LOL! They aren't the only outfit to do this. THANX!

3. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Gift cards are even more popular than ever here in MN.

Why?

Thanks to State Rep. Joe Atkins (DFL Inver Grove Heights) the author of this years favorite bill. He authored the bill that does not aloow expiration dates.
    This means that your normal gift card will NOT expire in Minnesota, the only catch is that it doesn't cover federally covered bank cards (with a credit card logo on the front).

Makes it a little easier to give them this year.

4. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    By the way, for those interested, there are also other things you want to watch out for with gift cards:

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/sales/giftcard.asp

BTW, interesting point, Chad. I would like to know how Minnesota is going to make this work, though. How do they know where gift cards are purchased, how do companies track balances for one set of cards differently from all others, etc. Hmm...

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Joel for that information. I was not aware of this.The customer can't win for looseing.

6. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Wow, Mickey, I thought you'd been around long enough to know the customer ain't supposed to win...:smile2:

7. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Joel, I am not entirely sure how they are going to make it work, but now of the gift cards in MN have nonusefees listed anymore.

In 2007 alone Arkansas, Florida, Kansas, Minnesota, New Mexico and Utah all enacted laws pertaining to this subject. I believe there are like 34 who have some sort of law on the books.

Check out this site
    http://www.wileyrein.com/publication_newsletters.cfm?id=7&publication_ID=13144

Notice in particular what Georgia is doing. The state is laying claim to the unclaimed funds after a period of time. Not only are they claiming they are entitled the remaining balance, they get the issue price of the card regardless of the balance.

DUPA is Disposition of Unclaimed Property Act.

Now that seems extreme.