Wasting Time ?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by redneck 1, Oct 1, 2009.

1. redneck 1

redneck 1 New Member

State:
    SC
    I may be wasting my time but I am gonna mix up a batch of stuff to hopefully attract some decent cat's. The stuff will be in a plastic bottle with holes in it to release it slow. My ? is should I weight it down so it stays on the bottom or float it at a certain depth also should i put it on the anchor rope or on a seperate line away from the boat ?

Thank's callie

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I haven't used attractants enough to give you an answer, but welcome to the BOC from Bennettsville!

Bill in SC

3. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've never tried chumming either. I suspect it could be productive if you do it a couple of hours before you fish. Make sure it's big enough. A catfish may figure if it fits in the mouth, then go for it!

I know a guy who regularly dumps deer guts and scraps in a secret hole. He swears the big ones hang around that area waiting for a free meal.

Welcome to the BOC!

4. redneck 1

redneck 1 New Member

State:
    SC
    Well I'm going to give it a shot tonight I'll let everybody know tomorrow. Thank's Bill and Pacman.

5. fishingfool

fishingfool New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have tried this with canned dog food and if you done your chum about 1-2 hrs in the spot before you fished you should have some luck. Depending on how big the jug is and the amount of chum released in the water the big ones should smell and come a running for the free meal. I wish you luck. Also, welcome to BOC.

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Never chum really. Let us know how well it works for you.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Callie Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Chumming is best done some time before you fish that area. When we chummed we would place our chum in the area a few hours before we fish that spot. Try baiting two or three areas then come back to the first one and fish. Then the second spot and etc. If you use jugs to do this then by all means remove the jug when finished. Tie a string to it with a small float.

8. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    First, welcome to the BOC and especially welcome to the SC Rivers page.

I have mixed feeliungs about chumming: (1) chumming deffinitley works in some times and places, like putting down soured grain in resevoirs. Also, I have heard enough stories about people seeing a dead something or other (deer or gator or whatever) in the river and then seeing or catcing a bunch of cats right downstream, that I believe that sort of thing brings in cats. (Long term thing: dead thing brings bugs which bring bait fishh which bring cats...?)

The other side, though, (B) is that I think there is really no substitute for just getting out and finding the cats. Go to the right spots, move when the time comes and give them the right bait, and the magic chum and other shortcuts are not an issue.

Heck, give it a try and see. Maybe I'll learn something.

9. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    You are not wasting your time:cool2: i have tried it an it works with two cans of dog food with holes in the cans:smile2:.

10. redneck 1

redneck 1 New Member

State:
    SC
    Sorry I didn't get back sooner been dealing with toothache and stomach virus. The chum idea didn't help that time but we were having bad luck with everything so we left early . Bad luck continued to follow as the next day we deciced to go to the Edisto river,well started catching some nice bream and red breast,decided to move up river,while I was keeping a close eye on logs I heard a strange noise looked up just in time to see the stringer with all them pretty fish going down the river keep in mind we're going UP the river. Oh well Sh*t happens. If the weather cooperates we'll be fishing this weekend.

callie

11. Pro kc

Pro kc New Member

State:
    Barnwell, South Carolina
    Well it sounds like a pretty goo idea! I think i mite give it a shot!!!